Six

A/N: Hey everyone, I'm not 100% happy with this chapter and will likely revise it once I figure out what's bothering me. Nonetheless I hope you still enjoy and voice your opinions in the comments below.
Don't forget to vote if you enjoyed it :)

          The journey from the town to my room, took what felt like no time at all. Tears streamed down my face, blurring my vision and thoughts. I threw myself onto my bed and hid myself beneath the sheets. I hated myself. Hated myself for hurting him. My dearest friend. The only one who had always been there for me through it all. Of course he loved me. He had always loved me. And I had the decency to throw it back in his face, like the selfish child I was. Why couldn't I just return his feelings? I could be happy with Charlie. What was holding me back? What was making me too afraid to seize the one thing I had always wanted. Sobbing even harder now, my breath caught in my throat as I buried my sorrows into my pillow.

I could still remember the day he had come to my rescue when a man grabbed me on the outskirts of the village, a knife to my throat. I was not posing as Skylar at the time so I was completely unarmed and at the mercy of the deranged man; who kept demanding that I take him to my uncle so he could exchange me for gold. Hearing the struggle as he passed by, Charlie had wasted no time in lunging at my attacker. The man tossed me to the ground and attempted to slash at Charlie who dodged and fought him until the man was forced to flee, blood streaming from his ruined face. When the fight was over Charlie had helped me to my feet and asked,

"Are you okay? Did he hurt you?" Completely oblivious to the crimson stain rapidly seeping through his tunic.

"I'm fine Charlie," I responded, "it's you that's hurt." I pointed to his stomach and his gaze followed my finger to the wound. He paused for a moment, his adrenaline dissipating almost as quickly as it had arrived, before he crumpled into a heap on the ground. I caught him as he fell, desperate to stop the blood that still ebbed from the large gash just below his navel. Since winning them I had always kept the dragon tears on my person and that day was the first time I used them. Even as his flesh steamed and bubbled Charlie continued to protest, begging me to save them for myself or someone more important.

I had never felt so wretched in my life as I cried myself into a restless slumber, tossing and turning throughout the night as nightmares plagued my dreams. I awoke in the morning feeling worse than death, deep black rings underlining my reddened eyes. Tia knocked lightly on my door and opened it, holding a tray of assorted breakfast foods for me to eat. She almost dropped the tray when she saw the devastation in my room. Feathers from burst pillows covered the ground and my bedsheets were strewn across the room.

"M... M'lady, it looks as if a demon has been here!" she exclaimed, her eyes wide with fright. I smiled wearily and said,

"No. No demons here. Just nightmares. I'm sorry about all this mess."

"Nightmares..." she whispered, her lips still trembling. She set down the tray on my night stand as she got to work clearing away the mess. I helped her push my mattress back onto the bed frame properly and headed over to the tray. Starving, I devoured the tray of food like a ravenous beast. Tia kept stealing quick glances in my direction and I realised I was terrifying the poor girl.

"I'm going to go see my Uncle, could you please help me dress?" I asked, making my voice excessively gentle, as I went behind my dividers. In silence Tia dressed me into a plain lavender gown, before continuing to clean. I exited my room and walked down the hall to my uncle's study. I knocked on the heavy oak door. Receiving no reply, I frowned and walked downstairs.