Twenty - Six

A/N: This was a hard chapter to write, nonetheless I hope you all enjoy it. Thanks in advance for any reads, comments or votes you leave. Critiques always appreciated. 

Thank you <3

"Elizabeth, let us out!" bellowed Charlie, jostling the doorknob in desperation. She ignored us, approaching Merek slowly, the blade in her hand glinting in the firelight. His arms out in front of him, he attempted to soothe her,

"It's me Elizabeth, it's Merek. Do you remember? You don't want to do this." She responded with a wild swing of the blade, which Merek dodged just in time.

"Move," ordered Charlie, pushing me to the side. He took a few steps back and charged at the door. Its hinges groaned and cracked in protest but they did not budge. He launched himself at the door repeatedly, but still it held against him.

"Stop it, you're just going to hurt yourself," I warned, stepping forward to look through the window once more. Elizabeth was still charging at Merek, who was ducking and weaving to the best of his ability in the small room. We were running out of time. I rummaged in the chest once more and managed to pull my sapphire-hilted dagger from its scabbard, holding it in my bound hands so Charlie could saw through rope around his hands. Once he was free, he cut me free and tossed the rope aside. I yanked my leather belt out of the chest and tightened it around my waist, finding relief in its familiar weight. Banging and crashing came from the main room, where Merek had begun to tip the furniture over.

"I don't know how much longer I can keep this up," he panted, "She won't listen to me!"

"We're coming!" shouted Charlie. I stared at the door in panic. How do we get out? The room was windowless, our only point of escape the thick door in front of us. Merek let out a grunt of surprise as Elizabeth's overhead swing missed him and cut through the wooden beam behind him like it was butter, knocking a large sliver to the ground. Fumbling with it, he managed to pick it up wielding it like a blade. A blade, that was it!

My hands flew to my waist and I unsheathed my smaller dagger and attempted to jimmy the lock. After a few moments of manoeuvring it around I accepted it was the wrong shape. I would have to use my other dagger, my favourite. A drew it unwillingly, before jamming it in the lock. Charlie's gaze was fixed on the other room, his eyes filled with panic as he watched. The lock finally gave way with a loud click, followed by the sound of my blade shattering into three uneven pieces. I scooped up the pieces and tucked them into my jacket, before we charged through the door.

Elizabeth and Merek were on the far side of the room, the wooden splinter in Merek's hand reduced to a stump as he blocked her relentless attacks. In a single motion, she knocked the sliver from his hand and aimed a downward cut at his face. He raised his handless arm instinctually, the same move that had cost him his hand, and she froze. She stared at him, tears welling in her blank gaze as she clutched the sides of her head in pain. Her bloodcurdling screams and wails resumed, staggering as she struggled to stay on her feet.

"I won't do it!" she shrieked in a demonic voice, her head tipped back at an inhuman angle. Her eyes rolled in their sockets to reveal the whites of her eyes, none of us daring to take a step toward her. Dark energy was rolling off of her in waves as she battled within her own mind for control. "No!" came her final cry and her head returned to its normal position, her eyes refocusing, her pupils no longer dilated.

"You did it!" came Merek's cry of relief, taking a step toward her. She stepped lightly out of his reach and shook her head.

"No," she murmured sadly, "I only bought myself a few moments, so listen." She turned to Charlie and I, a smile on her face, before she continued, "Thank you, both of you, for being the first friends I ever had. Thank you for bringing me with you on this journey and teaching me what true family is." My stomach churned with grief at her words, she wouldn't be in this position if we had left her behind. Without waiting for a reply, she faced Merek once more, her gaze filled with longing. "Thank you, for loving me, and letting me love you in return. I hope you'll find happiness after I am gone." Merek shook his head in disbelief,