Sixteen

A/N: First off, I am so sorry about how long you've all had to wait for this chapter. It started off as writer's block, then I finished and rewrote it 2 or 3 times before I was happy with it. I've also been practically bedridden with some sort of sickness for the last week. I hope this chapter makes up for the wait and thank you to everyone who has continued to read, vote, and comment on As They Fall. Your support means the world to me <3 x

          My legs groaned in protest as we followed the guards up through the staircases and winding walkways that led to the palace. I looked down for a brief moment and felt a dizzying wave of fear lurch through me as I noticed how high up we were. Handholds were few and far between, yet the elves moved with precision and speed throughout their treetop city, with little concern for forest floor far below them. Envying their surefootedness, I edged my way along a particularly narrow branch, desperate to keep up with the guardsmen. Before long, we had reached two enormous doors, set into the trunk of the oak tree, where two more elven guards were waiting. Upon our approach, they heaved on the doors and opened them to reveal a vast throne room. The walls and ceiling were curved and decorated with intricate carvings of various people, places, and animals. My eyes were drawn to the far end of the room where a large hole had been cut out of the wood to reveal the sky. Sunlight poured down into the room, illuminating a throne that had been carved out of the room itself rising from the ground, its edges smoothed by centuries of elven hands against its surface. The throne was topped with a collection of sun-bleached antlers that spread outward, in a wing-like fashion. Sat upon the throne was the Queen.

Her blonde hair fell to her waist, decorated with an assortment of beads, feathers, and flowers in hues of silver and green. Her eyes, two intense pools of liquid gold that seemed to glow against her shadowed face. Upon our arrival she stood, her bare feet making no noise as she stepped onto the woven rug that stretched the expanse of the room. Suddenly remembering my manners, I dropped into a respectful curtsey which caused her to let out a breath of laughter.
"Rise, my child," she said, her voice warm and soothing, "All are equal in Eularia." I immediately straightened up, my cheeks warm with embarrassment. She gave me a small smile before she spoke again,

"My name is Suraya. I lead the people of Eularia and interpret the will of the Earth. Misaeh may have already mentioned that our purpose is to protect nature's balance, through our ability to commune with plants and animals. You have my deepest gratitude for returning Merek to us and if there is anything I can do to repay you please let me know."

"I'm sorry," interrupted Charlie, causing the Queen to raise her eyebrows before turning to face him, "did you say you commune with plants and animals?"

"Yes," she replied, nonchalant. Charlie and I exchanged a look and I felt a small bubble of laughter rising in my chest. She's mad, she has to be. I thought to myself, struggling to maintain a straight face. Noticing the disbelief that was rapidly spreading across our faces the Queen cleared her throat and added, "I can prove it if you do not believe me. Throughout your life, you will have made contact with plants and animals. Their thoughts and opinions of you are present in your memories. Even other humans in your memories can be read through my magic, you are still creatures of this earth after all."

"Very well," snorted Charlie, "show us your magic." The Queen nodded her head slightly before she stepped toward Charlie and placed her hands on his temples. She began to chant to herself in a strange dialect, until her golden eyes clouded over and her hands tightened like a vice, causing Charlie to flinch.

          "You are a blacksmith. You enjoy your craft but long for more. Your horse Valiant has deep love and respect for you, he is eternally grateful to you for rescuing him from his old master. The black cat you give your scraps to wishes you would take her inside, especially on cold winter nights. Before your father's death..." Her words faltered and she tore her hands away from Charlie's face, her expression bewildered. Tears began to tumble down her cheeks as she fixed her golden gaze upon him and whispered,