2.5 (first edit)

Noticing my sudden drop in enthusiasm as I fingered the leather pouch at my waist the lady said,

"Low on coin eh? Well old Mabel is feeling generous today, why don't I cut you a deal? You see if you can solve this riddle and I'll give you any potion you choose."

"Really?" I squeaked, "What's the riddle?" The woman cleared her throat and began,

"A man, his sister, his best friend and his best friend's wife were dining together. The main course was served and then dessert, which was a large apple pie. The pie was cut into three equal pieces and each person got an equal share without cutting any extra pieces. How was this possible?" I stood there for a while thinking it over, there were four people, one pie of three parts and no cutting was involved, so how did each person get an equal part? Amazed at my continued luck tonight I held back a delighted giggle, instead focusing on the answer.

"Hmm," I muttered after a few minutes of thought, "That is a hard riddle, but I think I have the answer."

"Really?" said Mabel, a ghost of concern in her eyes, "Do tell."

"Well." I said, "If the pie was in three parts and everyone got an equal share without it being cut, there couldn't possibly be four people. Therefore, one of the people must be the same person and the only way that's possible is if the man's sister is his best friend's wife." I couldn't help but grin triumphantly as I revealed the answer.

"Very clever..." she said slowly, almost glaring at me with her beady brown eyes.

"Can I choose my prize now?" I asked.

"Very well." said Mabel reluctantly, gesturing to the shelves of bottles and phials behind her. I had looked at all of them, hoping to read their tiny inscriptions but eventually, I settled on a small phial full of red and orange swirling liquid, nestled in the shadows of half a dozen large green and purple bottles.

"That one," I said pointing to the bottle.

"That tiny thing?" she replied, "what about this one?" she suggested, taking down a large bottle of blue liquid beside it to show me.

"This is a potion that will make your hair grow fast and your complexion even more lovely" she continued trying to dissuade me from my first decision.

"No thank you," I replied. Mabel narrowed her eyes and took my original choice from the shelf. I could see anger glinting in her eyes as she struggled to maintain her civility.

"This phial is filled with dragon tears," she said stiffly, maintaining a tight grip as she placed it in front of me.

"Actual dragon tears?" I whispered, looking at the bottle in awe as I pried her gnarled fingers away from the label so I could read it.

"Yes," she replied, "most people think the dragons died long ago but a clan still remains, residing in the Otkir Mountains, preying on livestock and other animals."

"Wow." I breathed, enraptured by her words. She handed it over to me and said,

"As much as I do not wish to part with such a rare item, I will not go back on a deal. Here is your prize. Though I still cannot fathom how someone so young could have solved that riddle so quickly."

I secured the bottle safely in the pouch containing my other purchases, before answering smugly,

"Actually, I've heard that one before." Her wrinkled face contorted with rage and I hurried away from her stall, filled with glee as she shouted obscenities at my disappearing figure.

Putting a great deal of distance between Mabel's stall and myself I found myself walking near the forge once more. I walked through the crowds of people and retrieved my necklace from my pocket, stroking the intricate engraving on its face, completely distracted. So much so, that I promptly collided with a young lad a few years older than myself. My locket fell to the ground and I stooped to pick it up, colliding once again with the lad, who grunted in surprise as his forehead bounce off of mine. I crouched and held my forehead, praying it wouldn't bruise. When he got to his feet and scooped up my locket I became afraid he would make off with it.

"I'm s-so sorry!" I stuttered, staring at him in surprise. He grinned at me, a familiar gleam in his blue eyes,

"It's okay, no harm done. I saw you win that potion off old Mabel at her stall, I'm impressed. Although not as impressed as I was when you bought that dagger off my old man."

"You're the blacksmith's son?" I asked, sitting down on an errant tree stump by the side of the road to avoid being trampled by the roaming crowds. He followed and sat down beside me, pulling up one of his knees to rest his chin on.

"Yeah, I'm his apprentice too. I haven't seen you before, are you and your folks from out of town? "

"They're dead," I responded abruptly, shifting my gaze to a small black cat sleeping on the doorstep of the local butchers. It had been five years since my parents died and in that time, I had accepted it.

"Oh," he replied awkwardly, "I'm sorry. My mother's dead too so I know how it feels. Are you an orphan? You don't look like one."

"Not exactly," I sighed, "my uncle took me in and looks after me."

"Oh," he said again, as he fiddled with my locket. We sat in silence for a while before he said,

"What's your name?"

"Amelia," I replied, turning to face him, my hand extended, "and you are?"

"Charles, but call me Charlie, I'm only Charles when I'm in trouble." He grinned at me as he shook my hand and I could feel a blush creeping onto my cheeks as his hands closed over mine. They were bigger than mine and rough from working with his father, but they were warm and gentle. I looked up into his blue eyes, feeling them bore into my own grey ones, holding each other's gaze for a moment too long. He looked away and cleared his throat, letting go of my hand, his cheeks tinged pink.

"Could I have my necklace back?" I asked, attempting to diffuse the awkward tension.

"Oh right, sorry. Here you go," he placed the locket in my hand clumsily before quickly adding, "Well, I'd best be off. My dad's probably looking for me. It was nice to meet you." He stood up and I found myself following suit.

"I suppose I'll see you around Charlie," I answered with a blush and a shy smile before we went our separate ways.

"We're here," announced Uncle Henry, snapping me out of my memories and back into reality. As we came to a halt the driver opened my door to let me out and I stepped out of the carriage and down onto a pathway of crushed stone, my black velvet slippers crunching gently on the pebbles. Uncle Henry took my arm once more and we walked up the main drive with the other guests. Flashing our invitation at a guard, we climbed the vast marble steps and entered the enormous manor house. I searched the foyer for William, hoping that when I found him I could head in the opposite direction.

Lively music poured out of the ballroom and my uncle led us toward the sound. The house was well lit and beautifully decorated in ornate stone patterns of spiralling vines and flowers. The floors were a dark timber, covered in spotless exotic and plush rugs. When we entered the ballroom, I gasped in amazement at the sheer number of people twirling and spinning around one another on the white marble floors. There were tables and chairs spread out on the fringes of the room, white tablecloths trimmed with gold beneath perfectly positioned vases of golden flowers and crystal glasses of wine and champagne.

"I feel underdressed," I whispered nervously in my uncle's ear, as I smoothed out the front of my gown, suddenly aware of how far fashion had progressed.

"Nonsense, Amelia you look beautiful," he replied, patting my arm gently. He continued to lead us through the crowd, no doubt desperately seeking out Sir William.

I, on the other hand, was dreading having to converse with the pretentious half-wit; the way he spoke and acted had always sent chills up my spine and made me feel nauseous. We continued the search for my soon to be fiancé and I let my mind wander, walking around with only my grasp on Uncle Henry's his arm to guide me. Moments later I felt him halt and greet someone, the hair on the back of my neck standing on end as I heard that drawling voice I so detested.