3.5 (first edit)

"I won't tell a soul."

"I already know that man isn't Sir Lewis, in fact, he's my closest friend." Flora's eyes widened in surprise but when she opened her mouth to speak she could not. After a moment of thought she managed to utter,

"Why is your closest friend, masquerading as Sir Lewis?"

"That would be because he's Havar's Blacksmith..." I felt somewhat ashamed, the back of my neck covered in prickles of heat.

"The Blacksmith!" she cried out, her astonishment quickly muffled by my hands.

"Hush!" I warned her, looking around afraid we had been overheard.

"Oh Amelia," she hissed, "that is completely illegal!"

"I know," I responded, "I cannot fathom what must have prompted him to do something so absurdly dangerous."

"You most certainly can." Flora's expression was shrewd as she fixed her blue gaze upon me. My cheeks grew hot and I scoffed at her suggestion.

"Don't be ridiculous. I am nothing more than a dear friend in his eyes, which is beside the point. We could never be together."

"Would not a barrier like that provide the perfect motivation to risk one's life?" said Flora, watching me intently.

"Only if one is a fool," I muttered. And a fool he is indeed. I looked at the manor, warm light still spilling out onto the immaculate lawn from two dozen windows, equal parts anxious and amazed.

"There you are!" My uncle's voice soon disrupted our secret conversation and I almost leapt from my seat when I noticed Charlie in tow. Flora shot me a sly grin and dipped her head respectfully to my uncle, made her excuses and left me to face them alone.

"I've just spent the last forty minutes speaking with your uncle, you should have introduced us sooner!"

Now you're just being reckless.

"Indeed!" agreed Uncle Henry wholeheartedly, "You both looked wonderful out on the dancefloor, but I should have known you would sneak off with Lady Flora at the first opportunity."

"My apologies, uncle." I chuckled nervously and he glanced at me oddly, prompting Charlie to shoot me a pointed look over his shoulder. I quickly regained my composure and dipped my head blaming my odd behaviour on the night air and one too many glasses of champagne.

"As you were saying?" prompted Charlie, eager to steer the conversation back to its original purpose.

"Ah yes! I didn't get to tell you before you met him but Sir Lewis here is Lord Byron's boy and it has been a pleasure to make his acquaintance once again."

"The pleasure is entirely mine," responded Charlie with an astonishing level of ease and propriety.

Uncle Henry beamed and led the three of us back into the ballroom, inviting Charlie to sit with him. Much to my relief the vast majority of attendees had already departed for the evening, leaving the remaining seats empty. I monitored their conversation closely, ready to interject at the slightest hiccup, but the conversation flowed smoothly.

For the most part.

"You certainly have changed since you were a young boy, I don't recall you having such light hair!" Uncle Henry exclaimed noticing his companion's appearance for perhaps the first time. I flinched at his words and looked at Charlie. His blond hair was slicked down and tidy but his blue eyes sparkled as mischievously as ever when he replied,