Thirty

It was in the early hours of morning on the seventh day that the horns sounded, signifying the imminent arrival of the enemy. I had already been tossing and turning for over an hour, while anticipation gnawed at my stomach and fear gripped me by the throat, threatening to smother me. I turned to rouse Charlie but his bed was empty, sending a small flash of panic through me. What if I don't see him before the battle? I sat frozen in place for a moment, until I managed to push my negative thoughts to the back of my mind and pulled my boots on. I fastened my belt around my waist, checking and rechecking that Rend, my smaller dagger, my sword and my pouch containing the dragon tears were secure. When we reached the kitchen, Merek's family had already gathered there, their expressions solemn as they waited.

"Have Lowin and Charlie both left already?" I asked, noting the elf General's absence.

"Yes. Lowin has been preparing since midnight and Charlie left the moment the first bell rang. I believe he is helping to prepare the Queen's armour," replied Enara, adjusting the binding on one of Yana's leather bracers who gave me a determined smile and said,

"I promised I'd get your uncle home safe and sound today, so you better win."

"Of course, we will," I responded, more confident than I felt. I was eternally grateful to Yana and the small group of elves who had volunteered to lead a rescue party for my uncle. I watched Yuli repeatedly check her bowstring and the flights of her arrows and Telrith sharpen his glaive with trembling fingers until their anxious movements drove me outside.

I took a deep breath and looked out into the city. The elves had kept the lanterns un-lit for the past few night, leaving the forest dim and ominous in the grey light before dawn. The clouds were thick and heavy overhead and I prayed that the rain would remain in the skies for the duration of the battle. My fingernails dug into the wooden railing before me and I steeled myself, drawing strength from my days spent in the arena, the rush of battling an opponent followed by the blissful feeling of triumph. The horns sounded once again, the second warning that it was time to assume our positions. I set off for the armoury and was relieved to see numerous elves still preparing. Charlie was assisting an elf with his helmet and I spotted my chest piece, just behind him. I scurried over to it and put it on over my thick leather jerkin, the metal snug against my chest. Charlie had altered it to fit and protect me properly, without hindering my movement. It had taken me time to grow accustomed to its weight, heavier than my usual leather armour, but it now felt natural and secure. I scraped my long curls up into a high ponytail and began to stretch my limbs.

When he was finished with the elf, Charlie came over and checked the fastenings on my equipment and armour. His expression was one of pure concentration but I could sense his unease. I placed my hand over his and squeezed it gently in an attempt to reassure him. He flashed me a grateful look as he donned his own breastplate. I was helping him with the difficult fastenings when Yana's voice came from the door behind us,

"It's time to go everyone! Amelia, Charlie, Jaiya, Kanlo, get to the stables then head straight for the edge of the city, everyone's assembling before the Queen." I dipped my head and hastily finished securing Charlie's armour before the two of us followed Jaiya and Kanlo to the stables. Above us, I could see the faint outline of the young and old of Eularia, carrying out last minute preparations, fastening ropes and securing nets of rocks; a final defence against the invaders.

Auriel and Valiant were already saddled and waiting when we arrived at the stables and Merek was astride Natiro.

"I'm glad I got to see the two of you before the battle," called Merek, guiding Natiro forward with his knees, his good hand resting on the pommel of his sword, a round wooden shield fastened to his left arm.