Seven

A/N: I made a few changes to the last chapter as well as bits of the others. You can go back and re-read them if you like but the only main changes I made were;
The mountains are now named the Otkir Mountains (pronounced ot-keer) and Henry has a last name, he is now Baron Henry Alder. He is Amelia's uncle on her mother's side so they shouldn't have had the same last name.
I also made a minor change to Amelia's reflection on her and Charlie's fight at the start of the last chapter.

Anyway! Enough rambling, I hope you all enjoy this chapter, I thought I'd give Charlie and Amelia's relationship a bit of love :)
As always, comment your opinions below and vote if you enjoyed it!

            Six weeks had passed since Moon's death. I sat at my window seat, my head resting against the glass, as I stared at nothing. A light summer rain began to fall lazily into the courtyard below, the patches of wildflowers greedily drinking up the first raindrops they'd had in a long time. I thought of Charlie who would still be hard at work in his forge despite the weather. I thought of Charlie often, unsure of how to approach him after the awkward nature of our last conversation. Still grieving over Moon and stricken with fear over the cloaked figure, I had not been into the village since that day. I let out a heavy sigh and hugged my knees to my chest, cold despite the humid weather, as I continued to stare into space. My daydreaming was soon interrupted by a knock at my door, followed by the soft footfalls of my maid.

"What is it Tia?" I sighed, not looking away from the window.

"A letter M'lady," she replied, ignoring my nettled tone.

"If it's another letter about my marriage to Sir William or an invitation to their home, leave it with the others," I responded, gesturing to a pile of unopened letters on a nearby table.

"It's not from Sir William M'lady. I was in town today running an errand for your uncle and the blacksmith told me to give it to you."

At the mention of Charlie, I sat up properly and reached out for the letter, hastily opening it. Realising Tia was still in the room I looked up at her and said,

"Thank you for delivering this, you may consider yourself dismissed for the rest of today and this evening. You've earned a break. Perhaps you could spend it with that man you've been speaking so fondly of." At my words a surprised grin spread across her blushing face and she curtseyed multiple times saying,

"Thank you M'lady. Of course M'lady," before darting out of the room.

          Once I was alone I read the letter. It was the first time I had received a letter from him but I recognised his script from the fake Sir Lewis letter.

Dearest Amelia,

I know it is foolish of me to send this letter, but I have not seen nor heard from you in weeks. Are you well? Has something happened? I know we squabbled but I want you to know that I am no longer upset and have recognised the flaws in my plan that you spoke of. As for the matter of love between us, while my feelings have not changed, I will not ask you to respond to them unless you wish to do so.

With love,

Charles.

A single tear of pure joy slipped past my eyelashes and splashed onto the parchment between my trembling fingers. Feeling happy for the first time in weeks I decided to respond to the letter in person. I had never felt the need to see a single person so much before. I should have known he would not take my rejection of his love to heart for long. I hastened into my den and changed into my black robes. I ran through the Queen's Wood, warm despite the rain that had begun to fall harder now, soaking through my clothes within minutes of me emerging from beneath the canopy of thick foliage.