Seventeen

A/N: Hello everyone, here is the long awaited Chapter Seventeen. I finally fixed my computer (I think) so hopefully I should be able to get back into writing but I have been rather busy lately. I made this chapter extra long and but I should warn you it's mostly mushy feelings and stuff. Not so much hacking and slashing, but I promise there's more of that to come! :D Thank you all for sticking with As They Fall and I hope you enjoy this chapter <3

I found myself seated between Yuli and Yana at a large, rectangular table, my mouth watering as I took in the vast array of dishes before me. The table was laden with several types of meat, cheeses, and roasted vegetable, as well as loaves of freshly baked bread, laced with spices and nuts. Seeing that the others had begun to fill their plates I eagerly served myself a portion of everything that was in reach, eliciting a small chuckle from Yana as she watched me devour the meal. Too ravenous to be self-conscious I continued to eat with the same fervour, gulping my food down with mouthfuls of spiced wine that soon had me in fits of laughter. Having also downed a considerable amount of wine, Yana and I became engrossed in conversation about our vastly different lives.

"That sounds so dull!" exclaimed Yana, slamming her cup down on the table, causing its contents to slosh onto the table.

"It wasn't all bad," I replied, "Sometimes the balls and parties were fun!"

"I just can't imagine being controlled like that," she continued, her expression sceptical.

"Well I didn't always do what I was told, I used to sneak into town to see Charlie almost every day," I blurted.

"Oh?" teased Yana with an impish grin. My face and ears grew hot as I realised what I'd said.

"Well it wasn't just to see him! I used to fight and help the poor..." When I saw that my words were having no impact on her expression, I trailed off and quickly finished off the remainder of my drink. I stole a hurried glance in Charlie's direction, worried that he'd overheard, but when I saw his seat empty I frowned. Noticing my concern, Lowin smiled at me from his seat at the head of the table and said,

"He's just gone to bathe and change his clothes. I recommend you do the same, one of my daughters should be able to lend you some clothes."

"Thank you," I replied, wincing as I glanced down at my tattered tunic, covered in dirt, sweat and blood that was not just my own. At her father's words Yana stood up, wobbled slightly, giggled, then motioned for Elizabeth and I to follow her. Yuli shook her head at her sister's behaviour but said nothing, while Telrith seemed upset to see Elizabeth go. He had been enraptured by her throughout the meal and from their conversation it seemed we were the first humans he had met.

Yana led us further up the tree into the rest of her house, which was a great deal larger than it appeared from the outside. She pushed open a door to reveal a small bedroom with curved walls and a single window that was filling the room with moonlight. She opened a large chest that sat at the end of her bed and began to rummage through it, tossing various furs and silks onto the floor behind her. After a few moments of searching she retrieved a set of clean clothes for the both of us. As she handed some clothes to me she chuckled and said,

"I'm sorry if your clothes don't fit very well, you're quite short so I had to give you some clothes from when I was younger."

"That's fine. Children's clothing is still preferable to this," I sighed, gesturing at my dishevelled attire. Yana giggled once more in reply before leading us out of the room. As we entered the hallway Charlie was descending a spiralling staircase dressed in a blue tunic, with a fur vest and grey breeches. The bruises and cuts on his face and arms were still showing but he looked much better now that all the blood and dirt had been washed away.