Twenty - Nine

A/N: I know, I know I've been gone for ages but I promise I've been working. As They Fall is almost finished, so as a reward for your patience here is a bundle of the final chapters! Thank you all for sticking with ATF through it's good and bad chapters <3

After the match, I had numerous elves approach me, offering their congratulations on defeating their strongest warrior. I accepted their praise gratefully, but I knew that it had been somewhat of a fluke. After all, I had lost twenty-two out of twenty-three matches. Nevertheless, my victory had triggered a wave of respect from the younger elves, who listened to my instruction with renewed gusto. It was after training on the third day that Charlie came and found me, carrying a large metal shield in his arms.

"Do you have Rihnunir's bone dagger with you?" asked Charlie, once he had reached me.

"Of course," I replied, retrieving it from the lining of my jacket, "I haven't let it out of my sight."

"Good. I need you to stab this shield."

"Why?" I regarded the shield with confusion, noting its lustrous surface as if someone had spent hours polishing it. Its silver face was dotted with flecks of white that were almost invisible to the naked eye.

"Just do it. As hard as you can," prompted Charlie, raising the shield in a simple defensive stance. I wielded the dagger with uncertainty before bringing it down on the shield in a powerful stabbing motion, certain it would puncture the metal with no resistance.

When the tip of the blade met the shield, it screeched to a halt and I gritted my teeth at the horrible noise. I withdrew the blade and was baffled when I saw that the shield was completely unmarked, as was the blade.

"Just as I suspected," mused Charlie, flipping the shield over to observe its face, "That bone-like material has been forged into the metal." He offered me the shield with one hand and I immediately dropped it, the weight catching me off guard. He chuckled at me and I scowled in reply, before hoisting the shield up, balancing it on my hip as I examined its surface. I traced my finger lightly over the metal, marvelling at its smooth texture until I felt a faint stretch of rough metal near the top. I lifted my finger and peered down at it, noticing a stretch of foreign text engraved into the shield.

"What does this say?" I pondered, unable to recognise its meaning or origin.

"I was wondering that myself," replied Charlie, taking the shield from me once more, "I'm sure you know more languages than I do."

"I only know three, but this is nothing I've ever studied."

"Only," smirked Charlie, "and I thought I was fortunate knowing one language."

"Oh hush," I sighed, fully aware of the difference in our upbringings, "Look at you, I wouldn't be surprised if you could lift a carriage with one arm." I grinned at him and he let out a derisive snort.

"In any case," he replied, "we should show it to the Queen." I nodded in agreement and we set off for the palace, my tired muscles groaning in protest with every step.

The sun was setting when we arrived at the palace, streaking the sky with orange, pink and grey, as it receded into a blazing orb on the horizon. When the guards opened the doors, the throne room was awash with golden light, particles of dust floating through the air as they spiralled and intertwined with one another.

"The Queen's not here," I commented, gesturing to the empty throne.

"Should we wait?" asked Charlie, placing the shield down on a nearby bench.