Twenty - Two

A/N: Enjoy! <3

Between the four of us, we managed to scrounge up a warm outfit for each of us, two lanterns, a length of rope and some strips of fish that had been preserved with salt. As the sun began to set we found ourselves sat in the dining room of a relatively large house, feasting on a delicious soup Merek had concocted from our remaining supplies and a few herbs growing in an overgrown garden nearby. Once he finished cooking he immediately extinguished the flames, much to my disappointment, afraid of attracting any more enemies. Having finished the last of my soup I stretched out and stifled a yawn.

"I don't think we should sleep in the bedrooms tonight," said Elizabeth, glancing up from her bowl, her eyes filled with sadness.

"I agree," added Merek, "it feels wrong. These people could be dead." Charlie nodded his head in silent approval and I agreed. Once we had finished our meal we headed into the living room that was bare save for two lounges, and a torn painting hanging on an angle above a small hearth.

"You two should take the lounges," I announced, gesturing to Merek and Elizabeth.

"No, no, you take one. I'll sleep on the floor," argued Merek, shaking his head from side to side.

"Merek, you still have holes in your back that haven't healed. I'm sure you're in a lot of pain," Charlie fixed him with a look of concern and after a few moments Merek sighed and gave in. Charlie and I laid out our bedrolls between the lounges and draped a thick wool blanket over both of us.

Once night had fallen it wasn't long before my feet were numb with cold and I began to shiver. I shuffled closer to Charlie and snuggled into him for warmth. I slept fitfully, tossing and turning in my bedroll in an attempt to get comfortable on the hard, wooden floor. Eventually my exhaustion overtook my discomfort and I fell into a deep sleep, my breath creating small plumes of white fog with each rise and fall of my chest.

The sound of panicked whispers roused me from my sleep and I jolted awake, sitting up and scanning the room for enemies. I spotted Charlie and Merek crouched by the window that overlooked the stable we had left the horses in. Merek's eyes were closed and he whispered something I couldn't quite hear. I crawled over to join them as Merek opened his eyes and spoke again,

"A human male is attempting to steal Natiro."

"Shit," growled Charlie, stealing a quick glance out the window before ducking back down, "can one of the horses do something?"

"Perhaps," replied Merek, closing his eyes once more, focusing on his bond with Natiro. A heartbeat later a loud crash came from the stables and I had to stifle my laughter.

"Let's go see who our mystery thief is," I chuckled, heading for the front door.

"Should we wake Elizabeth?" asked Charlie, glancing over at her sleeping figure. Merek shook his head and said,

"Let her rest."

Pushing the front door open I dashed toward the stables. The barn's thatched roof was riddled with holes that allowed the pale moonlight to filter through, revealing the outline of the horses and a man who was sprawled out on the ground, seemingly unconscious.

Charlie strode over to the stranger and prodded him with his foot. When he did not stir, Charlie picked up him up as if he weighed nothing and said,

"Merek, fetch the rope and we'll tie him to that post over there." Merek darted back into the house and returned moments later with the length of rope we had found earlier. Once the man was secured Charlie grabbed his chin and tilted his head toward the moonlight revealing his face. There was nothing remarkable about him, he was neither ugly nor handsome, medium height with a medium build, brown eyes, brown hair and light skin. His head lolled in Charlie's palm and I caught a glimpse of something dark behind his ear. It can't be. My eyes widened in disbelief I reached forward and pushed his head to the side, revealing a mole behind his ear, roughly the size of a pea.