Eleven

A/N: I hope you all enjoy this chapter! Vote if you like it and comment your opinions below. Thank you so much for continuing to read and support As They Fall. :) x         
Awesome FanArt of Amelia and Charlie done by GeekyStories :D <3

          "He wants to come with us on our adventure, so he can find new material for his songs!" announced Elizabeth, a large grin across her face. I laughed aloud at her words. She couldn't be serious. I stared at the younger girl, my laughter fading at her expression. When I saw that her mouth was set in a hard, determined line, I turned to Charlie for support. He met my gaze over Valiant's back and simply shrugged his shoulders.

"Do neither of you care that a complete stranger, a gypsy no less, is to join our party?" I cried, running my fingers through my hair in my exasperation.

"Oh lighten up Skylar!" retorted Elizabeth, "Merek is excellent company." I scowled.

"Fine," I snapped, "We don't have any time to waste. But I'm warning you now bard, you do anything to hurt my companions or our mission, you're out." I looked at Merek's face, his amber gaze unwavering as it met mine.

"Of course," he replied, his voice smug as his face developed an expression of satisfaction. I glowered at him. New song material... Does he really expect me to believe that? I thought to myself as I finished saddling up Orchid.

          I mounted Orchid and grasped the reigns firmly between my fingers. Merek approached my white mare and put one foot in the stirrups, preparing to climb up behind me.

"You'll be riding with me," snapped Charlie, his expression cold as he took in Merek's position beside me.

"Very well," said Merek with a pout, flashing me a wink as he climbed down and went to Valiant's side. Once Elizabeth had taken her seat behind me, I urged Orchid on, eager to make up for lost time. The countryside rolled past us as we rode, a blur of green and brown trees, interrupted by the occasional dwelling or guard tower. I soon began to sweat, the sun glaring down upon as we rode, with little to no wind to offer any relief from the heat. We stopped to rest the horses around midday, finding respite in the shade of two enormous oak trees that were nestled at the base of a small hill. Sitting at the base of one of the oak trees, I nibbled quietly on a strip of dried beef. I leaned back against the gnarled bark and closed my eyes in attempt to regain as much energy as I could during the short rest.

My eyes fluttered open at the sound of approaching footsteps, followed by a soft huff as Charlie sat down beside me. I looked around and saw that Merek and Elizabeth were seated near the horses, engrossed in conversation.

"He is going to rue the day Elizabeth finds out the true intent behind his attentions," murmured Charlie, his attention also fixed upon them.

"As much as I do not wish for him to break her heart, I fear it is inevitable," I sighed. Charlie simply nodded in agreement before he went back to eating a shiny, red apple. I smiled to myself, apples would always remind me of the young boy Charlie once was. After we had finished eating and our canteens of water had been restocked in a nearby creek, our party moved onward once more. I winced as Orchid's rocking motion rubbed against my inner thigh, hoping my breeches were thick enough to stop any large saddle sores forming.

          The day passed without incident and I hoped we weren't too far from my uncle and his captor. Desperate for information, we stopped in a nearby town for the night. While Charlie was haggling over the price of two rooms with the innkeeper, I scanned the various figures that were crammed into the small tavern. Elizabeth sat at a small wooden bench next to Merek, who was speaking to a pretty barmaid, much to Elizabeth's displeasure. She scowled at the serving girl before fixing her gaze on the variety of candles in front of her. I continued my search until I found a group of what appeared to Silver Hawk mercenaries. Though their armour was not similar enough to be considered uniform, they each had a silver hawk emblazoned somewhere on their person, be it their jerkin, helm or gloves. I picked my way across the table to reach them and saw they were in the middle of a game. One Silver Hawk had three cups upside down and was continuously switching their places. I had seen the game played before. Beneath one of the cups would be a small item such as a pebble and in order to win you had to keep track of which cup the item was beneath. When the man stopped moving the cups the Silver Hawk across from him pointed to the cup on the left, which was then lifted to reveal an acorn. The crowd of men cheered for the winner and the man moving the cups handed over a pile of silver and gold pieces.