Chapter 17: Dead Man Walking

I NEED TO KNOW SOMETHING

Good Ward with Ward/Skye pairing

OR

Bad Ward with no pairing

As soon as we got to the beach I knelt in front of Lucas and really studied him with a soft smile, "You really do look like your mother." I said softly and then felt tiny arms wrap around my neck and hug me tightly.

"I love you dad." He mumbled as his head was resting on my shoulder as if he needed to know that I was really there.

Wrapping my arms around him to return the hug, I buried my head in hair and closed my eyes, I never expected this. This is perhaps the greatest day of my life, with Annabeth and I's kiss in close second.

"I love you too. So, so much." I said meaning every word. Even if I hadn't known him for more than a few hours, I could feel the connection.

I could also feel the ocean reacting to my sons happiness and quieted it down a bit, "What the powers." I mumbled and pulled back slightly.

"Sorry." Lucas said with as I frowned. I looked at him and saw that he had been crying, but the look in his face told me that he was happy crying, not sad.

I cupped his face lightly and told him sadly, "I'm so sorry I wasn't here sooner." I said and then felt Luke wrap his arms around me again.

"It's okay." he mumbled into my shoulder making me frown a bit.

"Not really, but thank you." I said messing his hair up a bit. Just as we were about to talk more my work phone rang.

Sighing and telling Luke that I was sorry I stood up and answered the phone, "Yes Director?" I asked my tone a tad annoyed.

"You have an assignment." He said his voice a little hard but I could hear the 'sorry for interrupting something'.

"I'm already on one." I said and watched as Lucas play with some of the dolphins that came near the shore wondering what the power they felt was.

"This one involves Coulson. He needs a favor." Fury said which made me pause.

Biting my lip I looked over to Lucas who seemed to feel I was looking at him and gave me an okay nod, "Send me the details and a jet." I said and closed my phone.

Lucas walked back over after waving at the dolphins, "Hey," I said my tone displaying how sorry I am, "I just got a call from my boss, he wants me to go do something for him."

"That's okay." Lucas said but I saw his smile falter for a second.

"I promise I'll try to be quick. It might take a day, two at tops. Can you tell your Uncle Clint and Aunt Natasha for me? The Redhead and Archer of the Avengers?" I asked

Lucas nodded this time wasn't as sad, "Promise?" Lucas asked

I smiled and then it turned into a mischievous smirk, grabbing his ankles before he could move and lifting him up so he was upside down, I smiled when Lucas started to giggle and demand to be put down, unable to move his legs much.

Grabbing his torso, I pulled him rightside up, this time in my arms, "I can do my best to return sport, if you promise to be good and explain everything to your Auntie and Uncle for me. Including your mother please." I said kissing his forehead.

"I can promise that." Luke said his smile taking up a lot of his face.

"Good." I said and then set him down somewhat gently, "Now, go find them. I got to meet my boss okay, make sure you tell Chiron too." I said.

"Got it dad." Lucas said with a giant smile then started to run back toward the cabin area. I watched him go as I felt the wind behind me shift along with the sea.

Turning around, I spotted a small plane as the back of it opened. Instantly climbing into it, I took the pilot seat and turned off auto control.

Hooking up my phone to the console I typed a few things before a location blipped on the screen of the US map.

"Zoom in as we get closer to destination." I said to the GPS that was also a mix of Siri.

Without a second to waste, I started away from Camp Half-Blood and toward the blip.

*********

It really didn't take long before arriving at the BUS (which is apparently what it's called) and I must say that I really wasn't impressed.

Turning onto the mic and connected to the BUS I asked the pilot, "This is your captain speaking and he wishes back aboard of his ship and the merry crew." I said lowering my voice while smirking.

There was a sigh on the end, "You have permission to aboard Agent Jackson." The voice of May drifted through the mic as I smirked.

"Thank you Smee." I said and then hooked the planes up, putting my glasses back on I went to the hatchet I opened it and slid down the ladder that connected the two.

"Well this is pretty cool for a Dead Guy." I said when I instantly walked into the room where Coulson was with two other people.

"Well, being dead sure does have its bonuses." Coulson said but his smile was a little off from the last time I saw him.

"Well, let me know the next time I almost die." I said as I took off my glasses and pocketed them.

"You don't almost die that often." Coulson tried to argue but then I gave him a look. I've had enough work in SHIELD that I got missions that never had extractions.

"Touché." Coulson said when he saw my look and then rolled his eyes when I smirked.

"Am I missing something?" The girl next to him asked looking between Coulson and I.

"Nothing you need to worry about..." I trailed off as I extended my hand.

"Skye." She said and shook it with a smirk.

"Hello Skye." I said interested in the name feeling a story there but decided that it was best not to ask, "and you're?" I asked turning to the man.

"Agent Grant Ward." Ward said as we shook hands.

"Agent Jackson but unless you're May who doesn't like nicknames, call me Percy." I said with a smile and then turned to Coulson.

"Why did you call sir? I thought you were aware of my...other assignment." I said dropping my voice a little lower.

"It was this artifact that we found that we hope you can help us with." Coulson asked and I nodded while my senses were automatically shifting through the air.

Hmmm, seven people including me. Large team, "Where is this artifact?" I asked looking at my mentor and trainer.

"This way." Coulson said with a smile as he lead me down some stairs toward this lab area.