xi.

"when you say you love me, know i love you more"

l a n a

"Mothballs and history. Now that's a cocktail I swoon for" Myrtle dusts off a robe before handing it to me. "Oh god this smells" I gag holding it away from myself.

"Lana, right now? Really?" Cordelia tries to keep me on track. "It smells bad. Why does this help with Fiona? I mean trust me. I've hated her from the day the old hag came, but this" I shake the rob, "is horrible"

"It's part of a ceremony called the Sacred Taking, which allows for the ascension of the new Supreme" Dela tells me as Myrtle takes robe, puts it in me, and pulls my hair out the back.

"And we're sure that Misty is the next supreme?" I double check them. "I'm certain of her credentials" Myrtle nods and moves me to make a circle with everyone, "she's brought back more people than Jesus Christ"

I laugh slightly at the comparison.

"Disappointed? You thought it was going to be you?" Madison fake pouts.

"Well, we knew it wasn't you because what happened when Fiona slit your throat? You died" Zoe backs me up standing next to me.

"It could be anyone of us!" Nan puts a black thing on her head that we were handed. "Not really. It's pretty obvious" Madison sasses next to her, putting on hers. "And what is that supposed to mean?" Nan spats. "Guys. This isn't some kind of gift!" I yell over them. "It's a horrible burden. You have some much responsibility."

"Lana is right. How many of these women had happy lives? They had power, but with it came the crushing responsibility of the coven. They all bowed under the weight. Expect my mother, who ran from it." Cordelia adds to my speech. "Can I say something?" Misty cuts in and waits, "I don't wanna be the supreme"

"Nobody gets to choose. When Fiona dies, who ever it is, will be" Delia replies.

And she pulls over her black lace fabric to cover her face, and we all follow.

"Now give me your hands. We're ready to began" She finishes linking hands with us all.

"The Scared Taking is a ritual used in times of crisis to ensure the survival of the coven. It has been invoked three times in our history. The first, during the Salem Witch Trail in 1692. The coven decided to flee south, away from Salem and persecution of the Court of Oyer and Terminer. The reigning Supreme at the time, Prudence Mather, suffered from consumption and knew she was too weak and wouldn't make the journey. She gathered all her witches and invoked the Sacred Taking"

As Cordelia talks, we took turns breathing into one another's face, and slitting our fingers.

Once we all finished, we touched fingers and Delia continues.

"It's the most hallowed sacrifice a Supreme can make. Prudence took her own life, which allowed a new Supreme to rise and lead them to safety."

"Can you imagine those poor Salem witches? Traveling all the way down here in covered wagons without a proper charcuterie or bidet? Absolutely savage" Myrtle basically yells.

"Does no one see the flaw in this plan? You really expect that bitch to kill herself for this coven" Madison drops her hands. "Well when you march up there, it'll screw with her head to the point where she does, or she'll be burned at the state tomorrow" I roll my eyes slightly following her lead. "You know, we all never really expect anything smart to come out of your mouth, but when it does. Damn" Nan tells me, smiling at the end. "Wow, thanks" My teeth find my cheek as I look to her.

***

Madison comes to the stairs looking as bitchy as ever, and stands by where we all were sitting.

"How'd it go?" Zoe asks her. "Boffo. She thinks I'm the next Supreme" She uses acting slang.

"Why can't it be me?" Nan questions annoyed. "Because you have no sense in style and your pits smell like fish sticks" Madison answers.

"Do you think I could be the next supreme?" Nan questions looking at Zoe and I. "I personally think that it is anyone of us. Or Delia. I mean it's in her blood, right" I reply trying to be nice.

"But do you think it could be me?" She asks again.

I stutter for a moment, everyone else stays quiet. "You guys suck balls" She gets up and slams down the stairs. "Nan!" I start, but she was already out the door.

"Guys we seriously need to work on communication. If we're all that's left in the world of witches, we're dropping by the second. Some of us can't even have sex with a guy without killing them. So I mean, honestly. Maybe we should be a little nicer to each other" I shake my head not wanting to say that. "You're one to talk" Madison looks at me. "So are you"

"I agree, we all need to stop hoping down each others throats" Zoe nods.

***

Misty, Zoe, Cordelia, and I sat around while Myrtle played some sad song on the piano, I was hardly listening to, my mind tuned to into the game of Clock.

"This is so stressful and weird" Zoe states watching as I turned over the 3rd king. "You don't feel anything?" I look up to Misty.

"My stomach feels like a storms about to hit. But they may just be the nerves" She replies crossing her feet. "I'm not exactly what you call a natural born leader"

"Neither was King George, but one raises to the occasion" Myrtle tells her. "Your feet should be getting warmer" Delia tells her. Misty moves out her feet and feels them. "I heard it should start like a tingle in the cooch" Myrtle says still playing.

I turn over the fourth king, finally I just turn the cards back into the pile.

"For me, it started as a classic migraine. Auras, nausea, pain behind the eyes" Fiona comes down.

"You know Myrtle, Schubert was emotional, not mawkish" She lights up a cigarette with her mind. "So where, is this gifted little swamp witch that everyone's been talking about?"

We look over to see Misty was gone, and sirens outside were wailing.

I didn't know if I should worry about Kyle, or Nan, or Misty. But my gut was saying all three.

My feet push up, making me the first up my mind ran to the fact Kyle may have just killed someone.

"Lana, wrong way!" Delia tells me as I take the stairs two at a time.

When I got to the room, he was still fixed on to the laptop.

I sighed with relief, making him look up and stand. The earphones unplug as the computer falls.

He hugs me quickly.

"Something happened next door. I thought you left" I say into his shoulder, gripping him back, "I thought maybe you killed someone. Or you died" I push back and pull off his headphones.

He leans in to kiss me. "Kyle no" My head shakes.

His hand comes up to smack his hand making me grab and hold it.

"No. It's not you. Listen, I think something bad happened. I don't think we're safe. I have to get you out of here, I can't risk it" I start to pull his hand. "No!" His words boom.

"This" He stutters of the word.

I nod encouraging him to go on.

"Road goes two ways" He speaks slowly. "Kyle it's great you're learning, I'm so happy about that, but what does it mean Kyle?"

"I love you" He breath was shaky in between the words.

The words made my stomach drop. I had been years since anyone had said that to me.

"I love you too"