xvii.

l a n a

"This place is as disgusting as I remember" I state to Michael, my arms crossing as we entered a room. "Well, you could have followed the rest to another outpost to die" He reminds me.

My eyes roll as we entered a room full of people.

I knew there was no choice of getting out of this, I had to be back here, a trip down to hell proved that years ago.

Michael continued to the front, staring down the woman in charge until she moved. My feet remained at the doorway, my arms crossing before he begins to speak.

"My name is Langdon, across is Lana Maddox and we represent The Cooperative. I won't sugarcoat the situation. Humanity is on the brink of failure. My arrival here is critical to the survival of civilization on Earth" He pauses glancing to me.

"The three other compounds have been overtaken" I questioned if he wanted me to speak, "Syracuse, New York, Beckley, West Virginia and San Angelo, Texas. The other six international compounds have lost contact. We assume they too have reached there end"

"What happened to them?"

I stare at the boy, he couldn't have been out of high school. "Massacred" Michael's voice rang through the silence, "the same fate that will occur to almost all of you"

"Almost all?"

As soon as she spoke, glares sent her way. My arms nearly wrapped around her, but instead I grab my necklace.

"In the knowledge that this would occur, we built a failsafe- The Sanctuary"

"The Sanctuary?"

"The Sanctuary is unique" Michael holds his hands out, smiling with the thought of the place, "it has certain measures to prevent overrun"

"Excuse me, sir"

Michael's head doesn't turn.

"What measures and why weren't we given them?"

His hand goes up before he speaks, "that is classified. All that matters in the people in The Sanctuary will survive, so humanity will survive"

"And that is?" A man speaks up. "Also classified. However, we have been sent to determine who is fit to survive"

Murmurs start, "listen" I snap my fingers making the people fall silent.

"The Cooperative has developed a questioning system we like to call "cooperating" I will then use the information gained to determine if you belong"

"What is this The Hunger Games? This is bullshit! I paid my way in here, that's the only cooperating I'm doing!"

"You don't have to sit for questioning" I offer up making people look to me. "And if we don't?"

"You stay and you die"

"I volunteer to go first!" A hand shoots up, "and so you shall. The process should only take a few days. So you will not wait in suspense for forever. Those who don't make the cut, fear not, if the cannibals come knocking, down one of these" He holds a glass tube up, "one minute later, you fall asleep and never wake up"

"Unfortunately, your bodies will be left for them to savage" I remind. The youngest girl looks to me, almost disgusted.

"I look forward to meeting each and everyone of you"

He starts back towards me, earning my follow as he walked out of the room.

***

I walk to the girl who had stood next to me, she now cleaning something before I cleared my throat. She turns slowly, and straightens at the sight of me. "What exactly do they have you doing here Mallory? Cleaning and fetching food?" I glance around looking for Venable or Mead.

"Can I get you something?" She only questions back, confused for a moment to why I knew her name. "No, you are just about the only interesting on here"

She purses her lips, "you two really like the word about"

I laugh slightly, "is this an interview?" Her words come out concerned. "No, Langdon is in charge of that. I get to help choose if all or none of you die. I just didn't want to sit in a room, waiting for a breakdown progress"

"Lana" Michael's voice sounds making me turn from Mallory, "I need you to do be a favor" He speaks, "which is?"

"Come on" He gestures me to follow him.

Once back into the room I was in he drops down a leather suit. "I'm gonna have to take a hard pass" I hold it with two fingers back to him.

"I need you to conjure up something in there, demon, ghost, I don't care"

"Why?" I drop it back down. "Because, it's time to have some fun" He smirks.

***

i really dont know what these first few chapters are just like the first few episodes!