xviii.

l a n a

The door slams open making me sit up to see Michael. "Did you know?" He demands. "What?"

"That others survived"

"Only that bitch you so desperately love" I mutter back, falling down to the bed. "What happened while you were gone in New Orleans?"

"I told you, I was searching for Cordelia. Now calm yourself. Who is it?" I rise again, growing annoyed.

"Mallory, she did something" He falls onto the bed, my feet cross as I nod. "She felt different, I can't deny you that, but do you really think that a witch would be put as Venable's peasant girl? She is smarter than that" I grab my head, as he stared trying to read me.

"Your powers won't work on me, we've been through it. For whatever reason my counteracts it. Believe me, when have I ever lied to you? After all, why wouldn't your daddy punish me?"

He shifted at my words.

"I got that deadbeat hairdresser to murdered a hag for you" I state making him stand, "and if you asked, I'd murder any witch you wanted"

My words come out like knives cutting the tension he had created, only having it shift to weakness inside of me.

"You won't need to, just stay away from any apples you see"

His feet begin out as I fall back on my bed, twisting the chain around my neck.

***

"Miss Maddox, we have a party going on downstairs for Hallow's Eve"

"Halloween" I correct, dropping a pen. "We would like to invite you, it is a-"

"I'll pass, I have work to do with Mr. Langdon tonight, but I'm sure you will all have a great time" I smile, stacking the papers and rises. "In fact, I should meet with him now"

I push past the woman and head down the hall to Michael's room knocking before the door opens on its own.

***

"So, when are we leaving"

"Soon" He drags out the word as I close the door. I mock him back with the word making him turn, shaking his head.

There was no denying the friendship built between us, but we both knew the moment I hesitated, I was dead to him.

"So, their party is just to murder everyone, isn't it"

"And that's why, we aren't down there. Though, like you said, Venable is smart, there is no doubt she will come to us"

"She's been a bitch this whole time, and you kept her" I mutter, scribbling on Coco's folder he handed me a few days before. He gives me a look like I understood what happened. And he was right I did. More than he even suspected.

The door opens, it had either been longer than I thought, or they managed to move quicker than expected.

"Ladies, we're a little busy formulating our sections" Michael speaks, typing away. "This won't take long"

"Then I suggest you do it later" I cross my arms making her give me a look of disgust. But Michael turns, closing his laptop and opening his arms, telling her to proceed.

"We're making the selections now Mr. Langdon. And you two didn't make the cut"

He lets out a laugh before apologizing directly after, "sorry, I was going to let you have your moment. But I couldn't hold it in"

"You think this is funny?"

"Actually, quite" I nod back to her. Mead looks to me, making my eyes glance back to her. "I didn't think you had it in you. You passed the test. You're perfect for The Sanctuary"

"Ms. Mead" Her voice rings, a gun clicks. "I wouldn't do that" Michael tells her.

The gun rises to him making me get off the bed, ready to deflect it if his master plan didn't work.

"Ms. Mead" She states again, this time the gun moving towards her. Venable turns to face her before getting it in the chest.

"You didn't even have to get your hands dirty" Michael looks to me as the woman falls to the floor.

"I don't know why I did that" Mead states, "I was always loyal to her"

Michael drops to the floor, looking over Venable.

"It's okay. You were obeying commands, like you were programmed to do. My commands"

He rises and turns to her. "Did you enjoy executing the poison apple plan as much as I enjoyed coming up with it?"

"Bible study comes in handy sometimes" I fall back to sit on the bed. "You wanted everyone dead?"

"I've never been a fan of getting my hands dirty. Learned that from my father" He glances to me, that was the exact reason I was here. "Always more fun to entice men and women to dirty deeds. Confirms what I've always believed"

"W-what do you believe?" Mead's voice shook like I've never heard.

"That all people, if given the right pressures or stimulus, are evil motherfuckers"

"I-I'm having trouble with this. I know I'm just a machine"

"Never say that!" Michael yells suddenly, "not to me. When I tasked The Cooperatives R&D department to construct you. I gave them a prototype for them to follow"

"Prototype?" She questions back. "Someone from my childhood, someone every dear to me"

With that it clicks in her head.

***

someones gonna beat my ass for ending this book how i did bc it's cLicHé