Sneaking Around

Tyler nodded to show he understood.

"Who else is.. Alive?" I didn't know how to put it.

"Follow me, Miss X." 

"Stop calling me that, Tyler! We're the same age and I don't like to think I'm older than I really am." I snapped, unintentionally. "Sorry. Didn't mean to snap at you."

"It's ok M- Alecxis." Tyler smiled.

We went to the hideout where Tyler and his friends were hiding. It was pretty big.

"How did I not know about this place?" I asked.

"It was hidden. We stumbled upon it trying to escape the monsters." Tyler explained.

"Cool." I accidentally phased through the hidden door. "Oops!" I yelled as I fell. "Stupid. Stupid. Stupid." I muttered to myself.

I looked up to see seven faces looking down at me in shock. One female had her sword drawn. I scrambled to my feet.

"I mean you no harm!" I said.

"Put your sword down, Sara. This is Alecxis, the commissioner's younger sister." Tyler introduced me to the other six. In total, there were eight survivors. 

We talked quietly for a bit. I got to know what has happened and what's going on. 

"Thank you. I'll bring help, I promise but I must be going now. My... Never mind. I'll be back as soon as I can. With help. In a few days, at most a few weeks. Magic Academy is gathering it's forces and trained students. We'll hopefully be taking back H.Q. in the raid." I tried to make my voice sound stronger and more confident then I was really. I was upset inside because I nearly said 'My family will be waiting for me' but then I realized, I have no family anymore. At least, no family that are safe. 

I was telling the truth about the upcoming raid. I had also scanned the memories of each survivor to make sure none were spies for the X Race or 'moles'

They were all clear. I left after explaining the plan. As I made my way past the hundreds of X Race shapeshifters.

I got past without much hassle except for when I solidified. I didn't see a shapeshifter around the corner and got a surprise when it jumped me. I summoned a reinforced iron broadsword and chopped the creature down to size. Literally. I picked up three pieces and put them into a separate glass tube that had a magic force field around them.

"Thanks for making my job easier." I said to the three pieces as all three tried to get out but failed.

I smirked and left.

~~~~

I got back to Magic Academy safe enough. And it hasn't been run over by the X Race.

Max saw me approach our room. He ran up to me and gave me a hug. I hugged back, glad to see him safe and sound. I missed my boyfriend while I was away.

"How did it go?" he asked as we walked to Lab Five.

"Good. We need to go back before the raid though." I replied.

"Why?"

"There are survivors. I checked their memories and I also did a background check. They are real. Not shapeshifters. Also, I feel like I'm playing the Walking Dead where the shapeshifters are the walkers." 

"Yeah. Same. Except that walkers kill humans and X Race shapeshifters just capture their prey." Max pointed out.

"Ok. Whatever. I prefer that then zombies wanting our brains, thanks very much." I handed the three samples to some expert scientists and myself and Max took the rest of the day off.

When we got back to out room, I explained about the survivors' situation.

"That doesn't sound good at all." Max implied.

"I know."

"Also, this Tyler guy sounds like he...." Max trailed off.

"He sounds like what?" I asked, leaning closer to Max.

"Forget it. I said nothing!" Max got up and ran to the door. He does this when he doesn't want to talk about something.

"Not this time!" I leaped on top of him, catching him off balance. I sat on top of him. "What were you going to say, Max Lightning?" I asked again, staring into Max's eyes upside down.

"Nothing ok?!" 

"Oh come on Max. I'm your girlfriend. You need to start telling me things that are bothering you otherwise I can't help." I pouted, something I do very rarely.

"Fine. I was going to say that this Tyler guy sounds as if he..."

"He what?" I pressured.

"He sounds as if he has a crush on you!" Max blurted out.

"Wha? Why in the world would you suggest that? I mean, I guess he did seem kind of flirty when we were talking but don't get the wrong idea. I love you Max. No one else. And  that will never change." I kissed him on the lips, trying to show Max that I'd never love anyone else in that way other than him.

"Same here." he said, pulling away from me for a second.

I smiled as I got off of Max. 

"Thank god I got that through that thick skull of yours!" I exclaimed.

I looked at my phone. It was nearly nine at night.

"Wanna go get dinner?" I asked after hearing Max's stomach grumble along with my own.

"You know it!" Max went to the door. I grabbed my phone from beside me and caught up with Max.

~~~~

We ate a huge dinner. Both myself and Max stuffed our faces. But to be fair, I hadn't had anything since breakfast. I couldn't say the same for Max though.

We sat back and talked to some others about the raid to take H.Q. back from the X Race. 

Later, we decided to go to bed as it was now nearly twelve.

"I'll be back in a minute Max!" I called, going to the bathroom to change into my pajamas. I came out about five minutes later despite what I had said.

 "You're finally out." Max said.

"Hey, you're not one to talk! You take at least ten minutes to change!" I argued playfully.

We argued for a few minutes then decided to leave it till the morning. We got under the covers and went to sleep. Well, Max did. I stayed awake for a while longer.

I couldn't get to sleep. Something kept nagging at me.

Is it about what Max said earlier? 

I sighed quietly.

Why would that nag me? I cleared it up. What's stopping me from sleeping?! It can't be because of what Max asked earlier. Can it? No. It can't be.

I lay there beside Max, thinking about earlier. I finally got to sleep. After a TON of mental arguing.