Chapter 1: Dysfunctional Me

Some people believe that the ouija board is false, but from my personal experience I can swear to you it is true. Before I get into that, let me introduce myself. My name is Serena Williams. I was once a regular fifteen year old struggling to fit in. My family, you can say, is dysfunctional. My mother and father got divorced about two years ago. My brother Alan somehow ended up in prison for kicking someone to death. Then there is my younger sister Ilyn. Ilyn is five, in which she isn't crazy but just a complete nuisance. I go to the St. Jeffrey High School, which is full of the usual clicks. I don't belong to a certain click. If there was a click for outcasts I would fit in perfectly. At my school and at home it's like I don't exist. Everyone seems to be in there own little world. I just hate it when "normals" seem to freak out about things that are so not a big deal compared to mine, for example my brother going to jail, my best friend being put into a new foster home, and that nothing seems to go my way.

After my parents divorced, I could tell that my brother wasn't acting the same. His face was always facing the ground, and he barely ever talked. That was not the brother I grew up with. About a year ago, my brother had gone to jail. The day he made the decision started off as a regular day. It was on the weekend, and my brother usually asked to hang out with his friends. Mom had said "okay," because it was getting rid of a kid for a few hours. I had also asked to hang out with my friend. I went exploring the town with my old friend Rosy. Rosy and I had come across my brother yelling at a boy. We hid behind a bush to see what would happen. The boy punched my brother in the face. I was in shock. Then, my brother punched him back knocking him on the ground then kicking him in the ribs to death. Rosy and I ran away screaming. I never told my parents that I had seen anything, not even Dad. My brother never saw us. Right after Alan had confessed, my mom called the police. That is the day my brother went to jail and the same week I found out that my best friend would be relocated.

The only friend I ever had happened to be a foster kid by the name Rosy. I always called her R, and she always called me S. I never thought that she would be relocated. She was very happy at her foster home. Every time I saw her she always talked about how delightful her family was. Her foster family, the Gonzales, had a very cute little baby named Lola. Rosy had to babysit her a lot, but I don't think she minded. The Gonzales had planned on adopting Rosy. She and I had been really happy about it. A few days before going through with it, the oldest Gonzales kid had done something terrible. I guess it's safe to say I never had actually met the Gonzales before. I had not even known that they had an older kid. I never found out what it was, but it was enough to have Rosy's social worker move her to a different foster home. I never got to talk to Rosy about my brother going to jail. Just to think, a few chain of events can change everything for the rest of your life, and that is what happened to me.