Chapter 2

A/N: I will try to update every Monday. Also, of you all have any ideas, let me know! I'm prone to terrible writers block... DX
Your Obedient Servant,
~Rose
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
One Year Earlier: Renées POV

"I feel I could make you very happy., Mademoiselle Chagny."

I smiled at Christopher. He was kind and handsome. He came from a good background. And unlike many of my previous suitors, they were fairly close in age. I was 17 and he was 24. He took my hand and lightly kissed my knuckles.

My father beamed at us. He had found Christopher. Although my father believed that I should be able to love who I married, he still helped along the way, finding possible suitors.

Christopher shook my fathers hand and smiled at me once more. "I shall come to get my beautiful bride the day after next."

I was ecstatic! I was getting married! I would surely be cared for for the remainder of my life!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Two Days Later:

Christopher's eyes had gone cold the moment we stepped into the carriage to go to his estate.

"So, my little wife, there is not much I ask of you. Bear me 3 children, at least one boy, and be a good little hostess when it is required. Do you understand?"

I was immediately taken aback by his sudden demeanor."Of... Of course, dear."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
One Month Later

"All I ask is that you obey me!"

Christopher was dragging me by the wrist.

"Your father was a fool, raising you head-strong. I'm afraid that now you must pay for his mistake."

He was talking in a relatively quiet, yet terrifying manner.

Christopher shoved me onto the ground of my room. He kicked me hard in the gut. He bent down so his face was right by mine

"You will regret ever disobeying me."

His voice was dangerously soft and calm.

He grabbed a chunk of my hair and threw me onto the bed, lying on my back. He climbed on top of me. I... I tried to push him off but he had the advantage. He pinned down my wrists and he hurt me. He hurt me hurt me hurt me.

He climbed off of me and zipped up his pants.

"Learn your place."

I just lied there. I wasn't sure what else there was to do. What had I done to deserve this? I had only refused to pass him the sugar at afternoon tea, he was closer and perfectly capable of doing it for himself. I had been the perfect wife, he even told me so himself at times... yet he had hurt me. He had hurt me as he could never imagine. My youth, my innocence was taken with his rage, and I knew he would do it again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Next Day:

I came down to breakfast and he smiled at me.

"You look absolutely ravishing today, dear"

His smile was starting to look like more and more of smirk.

"I /will/ leave you."

"But where, my pet, would you go?"

"..."

"Precisely"

"I could go back to my father."

"And burden him with you in his old age?"

"..."

"I feel I have made my point clear." And with this he left the table.

My mother had been a performer at the Opera Populaire. She had told me about how she became a dancer there after her father died. Perhaps... I needed to escape Christopher. He could be sweet sometimes, but more often was cruel.

That night I escaped through the window, stole a horse, and stiarted to ride towards Paris. I came upon the opera house, and asked the ballet mistress if she would have me. When I told her my mother's name, she seemed hesitant to take me.

"Perhaps this is not the best place for Christine's child. But if you are sure, you may stay."

"Thank you, Mme. Giry. But, why not here? My mother sang and danced here, did she not?"

"... Yes, she did. Perhaps I was wrong. Meg will show you to the dormitories."

She motioned towards her daughter. That was the first night of many I would spend in the Opera Populaire.

I felt safe. I was away from anyone who could possibly hurt me. That was until a girl who danced with me told me of the Opera's new patron. Christopher had finally found me.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A/N: Whadya think? I thought a bit of a backstory would be nice. I'm trying to write ahead, so this may get published early! I'm doing a full Erik POV next chapter, present day. SPOILER HINTS: Renées family AND I wanted to experiment with switching some roles around from the original book/musical, so I may have gotten the idea for Christopher's name there... *wink wink*
Your Obedient Servant,
~Rose