Chapter 20

Erik's POV:

It was like a wave of emotion hit me. It was beyond anything I had ever felt. While part of me wanted to return and profess my love for her, and beg her to forgive me, I knew I should not. Not only was it hypocritical, to abandon her then beg her to return, but it was also cruel. But these feelings, I needed to get them out. I felt as though I would explode.

Compose. Turn these emotions into a song. It will be much more pleasant than exploding.

I ran to my domain and settled down onto the bench of my organ.

A beginning in minor, with dissonance... loud, bigger-than-life. Then repeat, in pianissimo. It should be a struggle to hear. Then major, still with dissonance. Crescendo to mezzo forte...

I was lost in it, in telling my story through the music. I did not know the time, I did not need to. I felt no hunger. All I felt was the music. At long last, my composition was done. I ran my fingers over the scratched, inky paper before quickly returning my fingers to the keys and playing through my masterpiece. The problem was, it wasn't quite right. I was flipping through the papers, trying to find the one incorrect note when I saw the piano in my peripheral vision. I quickly moved myself, but cringed at the first chord. Damn, that really is out of tune. I quickly tuned the piano, which was far from difficult, as I have every pitch memorized exactly. I hummed in contentment at the first chord, allowing myself to savor before continuing my piece.

That chord should be a dominant 7, not a major... That diminuendo should last a bit longer... Perhaps 6 over 8 would feel better than 3 over 4.........

The Next Day

I awoke with the implant of piano keys on the right side of my face.

My face!

I quickly looked around and found my mask sitting on the floor, the ties snapped.

Damn, it must've snapped when my face hit the keys.

I quickly moved to my room and grabbed extra string to craft a new tie.

How odd that I fell asleep in the first place, plus it was peaceful. I didn't have any dreams.

I finished my mask and replaced it to my face. I quickly ran to my new composition. I just wanted to play it over and over again, so that I could never forget a single note. I played it so many times my mind began to wander as I played.

If only she could hear this, she would understand how you feel.

I reached a crescendo and breathed in sharply as my passion flowed through the keys.

Perhaps she would even reciprocate them.

I slammed my fists onto the keys and opened my eyes. I stood up, knocking over the bench, and made myself touch my mask.

She will never love you! You are a monster, you have abused her! Or do you need to be reminded?

I trudged to the Louise-Phillipe room, the only room in my house with a mirror. It was face-down, laying on the vanity. I held it up to my face, my ceramic mask staring back. I tried not to focus on it. I only focused on my eyes, the only part of my face I could stand. I used my free hand to pull off my mask, revealing me in my grotesqueness. I cannot be angry with her for leaving.

Renee's POV:

It was horrible. Life was horrible. I sat in the ballet dormitories, silent as a church mouse, afraid every sound was him. Sometimes I just wanted to storm down to the basement and bury my face in Erik's chest and cry, feel his arms around me, but then I remembered. I remembered he didn't want me. He abandoned me in a dark, rat-filled tunnel to fend for myself. Thank god he made me map. Nonetheless, I was alone. I was so alone I could almost hear him playing his massive organ.

I heard footsteps outside of the dormitories and moved to hide in the closet.

"Renee... I know you're here dear."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yay! Updates! Thanks for all the great comments, and a special shout out to Katnip123, campy191, and RebeccaMeyers12 for commenting on Chapter 19! Also, I know I said this in one of the really early chapters, but I'm still in need of a beta reader! You can choose, it can be just for this story or for all of mine. Message me if you're interested!

Your Obedient Servant,

~Rose