Chapter 3

• Dedicated to Ivy

A/N: okay, when I said I was doing a present-day Phantom POV, I meant back to where we were in Chapter 1... Just clearing that up...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Phantom's POV:

"Oh, my dear, there are much scarier things than a little chloroform."

I picked the limp girl up and set her in the boat. Prisoners are so tedious.

I thought about her as I rowed to the house, occasionally looking down at her. There was something so familiar about her...

The house came to view and I gently picked up the girl. I carried her into the house and set her in the Louise-Phillipe room on the bed. That image, the déjà-vu was overwhelming. I simply could not place it. I left the room and locked the door behind me. She would be waking any minute, the chloroform wasn't very strong. I sat at my organ and began to play. The song was a story, a story of so much hate, so much loss...

I couldn't play it. I wasn't focused. I was still focusing on that girl.

I heard a panicked rustle from the Louise-Phillipe room. She had no doubt woken up. A muffled cry came from the room.

"Hello? Can any one hear me?"

"No one but me, my dear." I responded with a sneer.

"... Monsieur?"

I approached the door. "Don't pretend you don't know who I am, Mademoiselle"

"Monsieur, I assure you, I do not!"

"Then, I assure you, I shall not unlock this door." I was having fun with her, teasing her. It was the only thing those ballet brats were good for.

"Please, Monsieur."

"You have chosen." I started to walk away, making sure my steps were audible.

She waited a few seconds then said curiously, "You are Le Fantôme de l'Opera, Monsieur?"

I smiled "And whatever makes you think that, girl?"

She waited a few moments before answering. "Your mask, monsieur. Madame Meg, the ballet mistress, tells us stories of a man who lives far underground and wears a msk... I always just thought it a myth."

I chuckled. I knew I was one of the ballet brats favorite bedtime stories. "I knew you were a clever girl. But as you can so blatantly see, I am no myth. Unluckily, I still will not open that door."

"Oh, Monsieur, please!" she let out with a sob.

I froze. That voice... it was as familiar as she was. It was, no, it couldn't be...

I stormed into the room and grabbed the girl by the shoulders. She looked at me, eyes wide.

"Who /are/ you?!?"

"My... My name i-"

My patience was thinning quickly. "Tell me, girl!!!"

"My name is Renée, Monsieur."

"Renée /what/?!?" I urged.

"Renée Vraiment, Monsieur."

So she was not Christine, nor is she her relation. But she they were so alike.

I let go of her shoulders. I had been given a second chance! Another chance to have my love by my side. Another Christine. I released the girl and walked out of the room. I did not lock the door. I went into my room and sat on a chair in the corner. I thought for what felt like ages. This girl, should I let her go? Should I keep her as a privileged captive? No, perhaps not. That did not work too well with Christine. Perhaps a spell, to make her want to stay with me. Yes, perhaps that! But what about when she will inevitably want to see the man behind the mask? Perhaps...

My thoughts were interrupted by the sound of a piano being played. It was quite beautiful, considering the piano was horribly out of tune.

I stood and approached the sound. I rarely played my piano, I simply preferred the organ. Renée was sitting on the bench, softly playing 'Ode to Joy'. It was a tune I had not heard in decades. She finished and stood up. She turned around and let out a small scream as her eyes met mine.

"Oh, Monsieur, please pardon me. I did not mean to disturb you," she said.

"It was no disturbance it was actually quite pretty. I do need to get that piano tuned, however."

She gave a small, forced smile and nodded. "Yes, it is horribly out of tune."

Neither of us were sure what to say.

This girl, she will reject you as she rejected you.

But I know where I went wrong with Christine, why she was so frightened.

You haven't gotten off to the best starts.

Shut up

Oohhh, we are in a bad mood.

Shut up.

She was first to break the silence.

"Why didn't you just kill me at the lake?"

I turned to her, stunned. I dare not show it, though. After all, my mask literally hid most of my features. "I don't need more blood on my hands than is necessary." I thought I would tease her, play with her mind. I walked up near her. She tensed up, but that didn't stop me from leaning down and whispering in her ear, "Plus, I find prisoners to be... entertaining." I chuckled and slowly walked away. "Are you hungry, Mademoiselle Renee Vraiment?"

I don't know what her answer was, because just then, a thought gripped my mind.

Vraiment... It's a familiar name, is it not?

A sudden realization struck me. There was a new patron of the opera named Christopher Vraiment.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Erik is such a little tease.

I'm horribly sorry I haven't updated recently, and by recently I mean three months... hee hee hee... oops. I've just had a big move, so that was a bit of a distraction. I'll try to be better, I promise! Striking similarities between this and the origingal novel...

Also, I thought I should mention that I tend to jump and include elements from both the original novel and the Andrew Lloyd Webber musical. The live musical, that is. Not the trainwreck that was the 2004 movie. #POTOproblems

In other news, I'm looking for someone to beta for me! If you're interested, message me and we'll work something out. :)

Your most obedient and slightly delayed servant,

~Rose