Chapter 22

Erik's POV:

"Renee, I love you. I have never not wanted you. Please come home."

I studied her blank expression for moments still gently cupping her face. Only after realizing what I had done did I retract myself.

Erik, you fool! She is not prepared for a confession like that! She could never be!

"I'm a damn fool," I murmerd beneath my breath. Picking Christopher up again, I merely glanced at her before continuing to walk down my tunnel.

Renee's POV:

I couldn't process anything, save one thing. Him. I could feel his cold hands on my face. I could faintly see the outline of his torso despite that the rest of my vision was a jumbled blur. I could feel him retract his hands and I could hear him curse under his breath. I could hear him walking away... he was walking away!

The thought alone snapped me out of my haze. My senses still overwhelmed, all I could do was speak.

"Erik, please, wait!" I said as urgently as my voice would allow, which of course means I sounded like a lost child.

Erik's POV:

I shook my head, knowing her voice was a product of my own imagination.

"Please, Erik! Don't leave me alone again!"

This time I turned. Her voice was stronger, and I could hear timid footsteps my way. My angel was essentially crawling towards me, her eyes clouded over. I could tell she was going to faint. Throwing Christopher to the ground, I scooped her into my arms before she had a chance to. I knelt down and gently set her against the tunnel wall.

"Renee, Renee! What's wrong?" I yelled. She was looking far off, not focusing. 

She blinked a few times before her eyes focused onto mine. Her next action, I will never understand.

Renee's POV:

Someone is yelling at me... Is it Erik? Please let it be Erik... Where is he?

I searched for him. His eyes, his mask... And there he was, hunkered over me, what little I could see of his face contort with worry. 

"Erik!" I exclaimed as I wrapped my arms around his neck. He braced himself against the wall behind my back, but did not reciprocate, he didn't so much as move. I backed away slowly, afraid I had unintentionally set him off. "Erik?"

He looked at me with these great, sad puppy eyes that melted my heart. "Why?"

"Why not?"

"If only you knew... You-"

"I don't need to know." I murmured in his ear while returning to my embrace. Slowly, I felt him shift his weight and wrap one arm around my waist, then the other around my upper back. He was pulling me to close to him, holding his body against mine. A body racked with sobs. "Shhh Erik. It's okay. It's all okay. I love you, too. Please, Erik, it's okay." I whispered while nuzzling myself into his chest and neck.

Erik's POV:

Oh, my angel. My glorious, glorious angel! I hugged her close to me, afraid at any second she would back away and scream. She whispered to me, words I could barely make out over my own crying.

"Shhh... okay... It's all... love you, too... Erik... okay..."

I felt her mold herself into me, her warm forehead against my neck, her stomach against mine. I realized that at this point I had dragged her onto my lap, her kneeling on my thighs. Her arms were still folded around my neck, until, to my dismay, she pushed away, but let her hands linger under my hairling.

"Are you done?" She said with a teasing smile. I couldn't help but smile in return.

"Yes." I replied simply. "My Renee..." I murmured affectionately while gazing at her beautiful features. Getting up and extending a hand, I continued "have something to play for you."

Her eyebrows furrowed in confusion, but her smile never left her lips as she accepted my hand. "Okay..." Glancing at Christopher, she said "Shouldn't we be doing something with him?"

I tried to hide my horror. She had said 'we', yes, but in a way she should never. I would never let her innocence be tainted by the tortures I intended to inflict upon the bastard.

"No." I said bluntly. "I mean yes, I should be. I never want you dealing with this man again."

She nodded obediently. I grasped her hand once more and flung Christopher over my opposite shoulder. The walk back to the house was quiet one, both of her and I quietly basking in our proclomations of love. Upon returning, I instructed that she wait in the living room. Little did she know, I was throwing the son of a bitch into my torture room, which I planned on turning on the next morning. Returning to my angel, I took her hand and led her towards the piano. Patting the bench next to me, she obediently sat down while I retrieved her piece from my coat pocket. "Would you please unwrap it?" I said playfully. She laughed and gently undid the red satin ribbon and unfolded the papers. 

"Abused Souls? Well I'm sure this piece will be chipper." she teased. I watched as she settled the piece on the piano before turning back to me. "Well, maestro. please commence"

Taking a deep breath, I played. I didn't gauge her reaction. I had a feeling that I knew what she'd be feeling.I just played. I played with all my emotion. I played with all the love I had for her. After striking the final chord, I let my fingers linger just above the keys while catching my breath. I quickly glanced at her to see her eyes wide and her arms covered in goose bumps. 

"Are you cold?" I said, studying her face

"God, no." She said, turning her head until her gaze reflected mine. 

It was as if I had no control over my actions. A stranger force was pulling me towards her, and one of my hand reached for her waist, the other her neck. And like that, I was kissing her. At first, she did not respond. I was kissing a doll. Then she started to move with me, to meld. I backed away instantly, gauging her response. Her eyes were closed, but an attractive smiled graced her lips. Getting up, I leaned agains a wall to further study her. She slowly realized I had left and snapped her eyes open.

"Why did you stop?"

"I wasn't sure you were enjoying yourself.'

"Were you enjoying yourself?"

"Yes, but I'm not like him," I said gesturing to the torture room "I don't put my desires above yours."

"Well, maybe you should better understand my desires." She said, and quickly getting up, her hands were around my neck and she was kissing me. He soft lips gently moved across mine, and I eagerly joined. Quickly turning around, I put her back up agains the wall, effectively making her gasp and allow my tongue entrance to her mouth. Timidly, I explored her mouth, and she slowly reciprocated. It felt like it went on for hours and seconds, all at the same time, before she gently looked to the side, gasping for air.

"Dear... Lord... Erik... Most guys... That live in... basements... can't do... that."

I chuckled, enjoying her attarctive flush and heaving chest. "Yes, well, I was at one point called the trap door lover." I smiled while cupping her face with one hand. She still had one hand tangled in my hair, but quickly retracted it as her features filled with horror.