Chapter 19

Renee's POV:

I honestly thought that he was going to faint.

"Now I know you've been down here too long. I- I've brainwashed you! You must return back up!" He grabbed my wrist and started to drag me towards a passage.

I jerked my hand from his. "Wait a moment, what has gotten into you? You haven't brainwashed me!"

I noticed his hands were shaking, his brow was sweating, and he was looking scared. "No one can care for a monster. I've sucked all the light out of you. You need to go back up!" He had grabbed my hand again and was leading me down a passage.

Well, to be more specific, he was jerking me. If felt like he was trying to squeeze my wrist off.

"Erik! Erik, stop!" I yelped. "My wrist! You-You're hurting it! Ee!" I yelped in pain as he jerked me infront of him. He carefully removed his hand and looked at my now-red wrist, and the unwilling tears forming in my eyes.

"Oh, Renee... f-forgive me! Please forgive me, I... I never meant to hurt you..."

I saw tears welling in his eyes and escape under the mask.

I cause him to get so emotional? Why?

He collapsed onto the ground and started to sob. I knelt down and gently stroked his head.

"Shh... Come now, Erik... It's alright... It's alright..."

"No, it's not! I can't make the same mistakes with you as I did with your mother! Please Renee, please... I'm being so selfish! Damn me and my infernal face!" He muttered under his breath throw sobs.

"What does any of this have to do with your face?" I said, aghast that he would even think that a factor.

Erik's POV:

I couldn't believe she trusted me so much! She was a fool! The thought I could protect her when I would only end up becoming her abuser! How could she not see?

"Aren't you curious what's under my mask? Haven't you wondered?" I stood up, leaving her still kneeling on the ground. "I will tell you." I clenched my teeth to prevent yelling at her. I could barely keep control... If she couldn't see soon I wouldn't be able to help myself. "I AM A MONSTER." I said, firmly and loudly. I saw her flinch like my words were acid on her skin. I turned away, leaving her in the passage. I needed peace... I needed music... Why I ever thought I should show her... I should've known.

She didn't come back after that. I watched, she never re-entered my house. I started to panic, to break down.

This is it, I've shoved her away for good. Not to mention that bastard Christopher will likely find her again... But were would she go? She has left her ballet things here... I should bring them to Madam Giry! Perhaps she would be there... 

I quickly gathered her shoes and leotards, making sure it was all nicely folded in one stack. Upon reaching the ballet quarters, I heard a yound man's voice talking to Meg Giry. 

"I was checking to see if you've seen my wife. I was here last week, too. I'm still terribly worried, I... I'm going grey with worry. Please Madame, tell me if you've seen her."

"No, Monsieur. I have not. She left not to long ago and did not return. This is the same thing I told you last week. Now, if you please, I have some ballerinas to go criticize."

I heard the footsteps of a man walking my direction, and quickly climbed to hide in the rafters. What I saw was not the 'worried' man that talked with Meg Giry, but a positively fuming one. "That damn girl... She's taken this too far..." I heard him mutter as he walked by. My eyes narrowed, at his face, quite handsome, but riddled with a hidden evil. High cheekbones, dark hair, frown lines. Once I made sure he was well gone I came down from my hiding spot to continue to the dormitories. Once more, voices caused me to stop and hide. 

"Did he come for me?"

"Yes."

"Oh, I knew he would! He's persistent like a demon. You shouldn't have hidden me... When he finds me he'll make your life hell, too! I... I just can't deal with that! Next time he comes, if he asks, show me to him. I can't live with myself knowing he has done evil to more than me!"

"Renee, stop this nonsense. I will not hand you over so long as I am able."

I quietly walked down the hall toward the dormitories and the voices. 

"Madame, quiet! I hear someone. Oh, it's him, that damnable man!" I heard Renee's terrified voice sob.

I quickly appeared in the doorway, allowing them to see  me. "I should hope I am not him." I said cautiously.

Renee didn't move, simply looked at me sadly. Giry, on the other hand, had no restraint on calling me out. 

"What are you doing here? You cast her out and then make fun of her increasingly dangerous situation!? Renee deserves better than you, you-"

"Madame, stop this, please." came Renee. "What do you want, Monsieur?" she said stiffly. Her refusal to call me by my name, which she had said so many times before, stabbed at  my heart. 

"I have brought your items that you left in my house. I assumed you were staying here."

"Yes. It is the only place left for me." She said. I tried not to let on how much her words hurt. 

"Then I should be taking my leave. Goodnight Madame, Mademoiselle."  Giry nodded to me, and Renee simply watched me leave, holding her belongings. I felt like I was walking through molasses on the way back to my house. I felt my steps grow heavier each on that took me away from her. 

Why on Earth should I care about her? She's not Christine, she's far more bold. She was my prisoner, a nuisence! 

But she never really was a nuisence... She dealt with me, she chose to stay with me. She said she cared about me, although that's not truly possible. But it's very possible I care about her... Why do I care if she gets hurt? Why should I care?

I... I love her. I love her.

"I love her."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I felt like we needed a bit of melodramaticy. I don't think that's technically a word.

It is now. Anyways, hope you like this chapter. Also, don't forget to check out my two other stories, To Dream a Dream (A POTO fanfiction) and Daughter of Fysi. And don't forget to comment! Comments = Serious feels guys. Like seriously. 

Your Obedient Servant,

~Rose