Chapter 8

Erik's POV:

I saw her flinch away from me when I approached her. Did she think I was going to hit her? Hurt her?

Of course she did. You're her captor, are you not? That fact alone will cause her terror, despite your sweetness.

I heard her mumble under her breath about me causing her the exhaustion.

You did strangle her, chloroform her, and kidnap her. That's as good a reason as any for trust issues.

I actually tried to sleep that night. I rarely slept, but the whole ordeal had been equally exhausting for myself. My dream, rather, nightmare, was far from pleasant.

"Please let me go." Whispered Renee's meek voice

"Erik! Let me leave!" came the louder, more desperate cries from Christine, all those years ago.

"Erik, you cannot be loved." said a thick Persian accent. Daroga...

"Erik! You are sorry, aren't you? Hiding in this house day after day, night after night!" came the confident voice of Mme. Giry, soon followed by the sound of a whip cracking.

These sounds, first played one by one, then all together in a vicious canon. Then, all at once, they said "I can't love you! No one can! You're a monster! You're a freak!" Renee's voice stood out the most. It was soft, timid, and weak, just as before, yet it resonated so clearly.

"Let me see behind the mask." She said. She started to reach for it, I swatted at her but she wouldn't stop. She snatched off her mask and screamed in utter terror. So much like her mother... I wished he didn't have to know their looks of terror, but I knew them well enough to know just how alike they were. Like mother like daughter...

Then, quiet. 'Ode to Joy' starts playing on the out-of-tune piano, but rather than being calming, it makes me want her out, now more than ever. Out of my house, out of my life, to let me die in peace...

I sat up sharply in my bed. I slipped on the mask I had torn off in my sleep.

This, Erik. This is why we don't sleep.

Then it happened.

I heard 'Ode to Joy' resonating from the main room.

I stormed in, to see Renee sitting there and playing. I must say, if I had been in my right frame of mind, she would have been beautiful, breath-taking, even. She had let her hair down from it's ballet bun, which gave it the softest, most beautiful waves. Her long white tutu was sprawled around her. Her bare arms had gooseflesh, but not nearly as severe as the night before. I saw none of this. I saw hatred. I could never trust a woman, much less the child of the woman had betrayed me so greatly!

"Get out." I spat the words. She must not have known I was there, for she jumped and span around. "Get out." I repeated

"Bu-But, Erik..."

"I AM NO ERIK TO YOU, YOU BRAT. LEAVE ME."

The words came out more forcefully than I had hoped. She was scared, oh she was scared. She sat there for a moment, likely frozen with terror.

"Please... Please Monsieur..."

I saw tears forming in her eyes.

Last night she seemed to expect a beating... Perhaps she deserves one...

I approached her, slowly, and raised my hand to hit her. She flinched and ran behind me, and to the shore of the lake. I came out when her back was turned, she was searching for the boat. I grabbed her around the waist, trapping her arms.

I whispered into her ear, "Go have fun with your little husband." then threw her down, her upper torso and face landing in the waters of the lake.

"I'm sorry, Monsieur."

I whipped around. The girl was a wet, shivering mess, and I had put her there. And yet, she apologized to me.

"What did you say?" My tone was not cold, not harsh, not cruel. It was, honestly, surprised. I approached her and kneeled down. She cowered away from me, although not far. Her hair was covering her face, so I very gently moved it away, careful not to actually touch her skin. She jumped, as shaked more violently.

"I-I'm... s-sorry." She could not face me.

Erik, what have you done?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hmmmm.... I wonder what will happen next? Only I know, dear followers. ;) But I will tell you this:

I'm really excited to write the next chapter.

Like really, really excited.

But I can't do it tomorrow because I have to watch SHERLOCK SEASON 3!!!!!

I'm also really really excited for that.

Your obedient and excited servant,

~Rose