Chapter 9

Soooo its been abput a week or two, high time I update. No excuses, but at least this time it didn't take me three+ months, right? \: Ah, but what can you do when school's a pain in the arse? I have a second one coming up probably either Tuesday or Monday. c: But enough about me! Onto the Erik and Renee...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Erik's POV:

This angel, this beautiful, beautiful angel had appologized to me. I... I didn't deserve this. I have hurt her and taken her and now abused her... Why was she apologizing? I backed away from her. She didn't deserve this... I fell to the ground and began to sob uncontrollably. 

Renee's POV:

What the hell was going on? He went from teasing to affectionate to angry to endearing to insane to crying... all in less than 24 hours. I wasn't sure what to do. Should I comfort him? What set him off? I knew one thing and one thing only, The Phantom of the Opera was a very changeable man.

3rd person POV:

Erik, sobs still racking his body, crawled back to the house. Renee dare not move. Erik turned around and looked at her with apologetic eyes before entering his house. Renee cautiously got up, and made sure he was in his room before entering. She quickly ran into 'her' room, and started to dry off. She felt frozen to the bone and didn't want to get sick... At least not sicker than she already probably was. She wrapped a towel around her head and looked around for some dry clothing. She noticed a trunk in the far wall of the room and opened it to find an aray of beautiful, breathtaking gowns. 

These can't possibly be for me... Why are they here?

She chose the plainest, and seemingly warmest of them and quickly put it on, after taking her hair out of the towel and putting it into a ballet bun. She peeked outside her door, checking that The Phantom was not there. She could still faintly make out the sound of his sobs from what she assumed was his room, or wing, or whatever.

Please don't let him find me... Please don't let him get me...

She wasn't entirely sure who exactly she was pleading with. God perhaps? Would He let her hell of a life get increasingly worse?

She quickly ran out to the shores of the lake, where the boat was tied up with a very simple not. She undid it, picked up the paddle, and started rowing across.

In his room, Erik had stopped crying. He heard her come in, and come out. He faked some sobs, his seclusion would make her feel safer. He even heard the ripples as the boat pushed off from shore.

No doubt she is running away. Of course this happens... My last chance has been ruined. 

He got up and went to the living room to watch her leave from a distance. 

She's even wearing one of the dresses I had chosen for her mother...

And then Erik saw it. Approaching the boat from behind was a chain of V-shaped ripples.

THE MERMAID!

Erik gasped and quickly ran out to the shores. He saw Renee glance back, fear in her eyes, and continue rowing.

There's no way you could convince her to come back... I need to call off the Mermaid...

Erik ran inside and got a bamboo straw from a drawer in his chamber. Without hesitation, he waded into the water, making his way for the mermaid and Renee.