Chapter 6

Renee's POV:

He was, to say the least, intimidating. Scary, even. I knew I dare not disobey him, who knew what he might do to me. It felt like we were so far underground, I felt certain no one would hear my pleas for help or screams of pain and/or terror. He had given me blankets, but I still shivered and stuttered at times. Now, not from cold, but from fear. After he threatened to hand me over to Christopher, and I begged him not to, he seemed to... soften. But the temporary softness meant nothing in the long run. He questioned my mother. I sang for him. He seemed pleased, though I am far better en pointe than singing. I wonder what time it is... I'm exhausted.

"Where is your mother?

His question interupted my thoughts.

"P-Pardon, Mo-Monsieur?"

"As I said, call me Erik. Your mother. You said you have no family, where is your mother? And your father, as well?"

Oh, god. Not this question. I... That was the last thing I wanted to think about.

"Answer me."

His tone was stern, but not harsh.

"She... She died... I was young when it happened. My F-Father is recently deceased." The mere thought of it brought tears to my eyes. He turned on the organ bench and faced me. I tried to hide my face, but he lifted my chin with his hand so that I couldn't if I tried.

"Is that why you were crying by the lake?" His tone was... concerned. Why would my captor care if I was crying? How would he know?

"Y-Yes. Mon-"

"I asked you to call me Erik. It is my name, after all."

I took a deep breath.

"Yes, E-Erik." My voice was meek, but he seemed pleased. I jerked my chin out of his hand, and he made no effort to stop me.

"Please let me go."

My voice was just above a whisper. I was frightened, frightened for my life. The simple request would undoubtedly set him off. I saw him stand up, and I prepared myself for a beating, or worse.

"If that is really what you wish, I will escort you back to the lake, and even back to the ballet dormitories if you do not know the way."

"I-"

He cut me off, and held my hands gently with one hand and lifted my chin again with his other. I was confused, and he could probably tell.

"But I can protect, you, as well. I see no gain in sending you back into the hands of your abusive husband. I will not force you, it is your choice."

I was stunned at the response. Not a word against me, no hit, no slap, no... hurt.

I stood in silence.

"Perhaps you would like to sleep on my offer? You are probably exhausted, you have been through quite the ordeal." He pointed to the room that I first woke up in.

"No thanks to you..." I mumbled under my breath. Erik seemed not to notice.

"That room is yours, I will not disturb you in there."

He left me, and went to sit at his organ. I stayed just long enough to see him pull out an empty sheet of music bars and some fresh ink.

Apparently, he composes.

I took my leave and went to 'my room.'

He could still hurt you. He could just be toying with you, playing good-cop-bad-cop.

He might just be waiting until you are asleep.

Then wouldn't he have tried something while you were unconsious?

Friendly reminder: He did chloroform you, and attempted to strangle you previous to that.

I have to leave.

But you will without a doubt be re-claimed by Christopher.

He's probably looking for you now.

He's probably wondering why your name was in tonight's playbill but your face wasn't on stage.

I suppose I will be choosing the lesser of two evils.

But which one is that?

Lost in thought, I drifted off to a fitful sleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here's number two for today!!!

I really hope you all like it, some serious drama is coming next chapter. ;)

Your obedient servant,

~Rose