Chapter 14

Renee was obviously ravenous. Erik poured himself a glass of red wine and watched her eat. Renee shifted constantly, his gaze making her uncomfortable.

"Aren't you hungry?" she asked.

"I feed off my music." He said. And with that, she went back to eating and he to watching. When she finished she got up and faced Erik.

"If you plan on keeping me here I have one request." She said. She tried to sous confident but there was no masking the nervousness in her voice.

Erik looked at her, scanning her. "I suppose..."

"I want my pointe shoes."

Erik was taken aback. She didn't want anything other than a smelly old pair of shoes.

"If you let me go get them I promise I'll come back."

Erik considered his options. He could let her go and hope she returned, or he could go get them and risk being caught. He was still a wanted man from the chandelier crash those many years ago. Or he could accompany her from the shadows. That could work. He could make sure no one saw her or him, and she couldn't escape.

"Get some sleep and we can go tomorrow."

"We?"

"I cannot risk you running off. Assuming nothing of importance happens, you won't even know I'm there."

She thought for a moment, then replied with a simple "Very well."

That night, Erik broke his promise of respecting Renee her privacy. He snuck into her room and watched her sleep from a chair in the corner. She was fast asleep, and she seemed so peaceful. It was this peace that Erik longed for, a peace he had not known for ages.

I can deny her nothing. I am putty in her hands.

Well, that's not all true, now is it? For example, if she asked for her freedom...

I cannot even deny her that, not at this point. I would plead with her, but I don't think I could bring myself to use force to keep her here.

Renee awoke the next morning to find Erik composing. She was already dressed and ready to go. She cleared her throat to get Erik's attention.

"There are some eggs and ham on the table. Eat and then we shall leave." was his only response. Renee scarfed down her food.

"I'm ready, Monsieur."

Erik turned to face her. She was so excited, an expression that suited her well. He quickly grabbed his cloak, and then her hand. "Do not let go. These passages are a labyrinth, not to mention the countless traps. It means certain death for the unaware. You are fortunate we could go today, I only go up on staff holidays. The next on is not for a few months."

Renee was startled. "Great, but aren't we going to take the boat?" she asked.

"No. We are taking a more direct route."

"Wait, you have a direct route to the ballet girls' dormitory?" she asked.

"Yes."

"So you are to say that at anytime you could have been watching us change?!" she said, disgust and fear flickering in her voice.

Erik chuckled. "No, not if I can help it. Unlike most men, I do not find the majority of flesh enticing."

"The majority of flesh?"

Erik seemed calm on the outside, but he was a nervous wreck inside.

You should not have said that. You should not have said that...