Chapter 23

Warning: Mild cursing. Specifically "son of a bitch." It's said by Christopher.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Erik's POV:

"L-Lover? Er-Erik... I don't want you to get-t the wrong idea..." she said while gently pushing my chest away from her. "I... After h-him... I-I c-can't..." Her eyes begain to fill with tears and she began to tremble.

Quickly wiping her face, I attempted to fix my mistake. "Renee, no, never! Well not never... but only if you want to! Renee, I promised to protect you, remeber?"

She nodded, still avoiding my gaze. I gently lifted her chin and stared seriously into her eyes. "I would be breaking that promise if I hurt you, wouldn't I? Please Renee, I would never hurt you like he did. Do you understand? I won't kill your innocence like that. Please, please trust me." I pleaded. She simply nodded. "Take deep breaths, please, I can't stand to see you cry." She did as she was instructed, and soon was wiping away her tears.

"I-I'm sorry. I think you wouldn't... I know you wouldn't do that. I just... Seeing him, being so close to being dragged into that hell again, it's put me in a very skittish place, I suppose."

I smiled sympathetically. "Oh, my angel. It's okay. I shouldn't have said what I did. Are you done crying?" I said, studying her features. Even with red eyes and a sniffling nose, her beauty was unmistakeable. I gently embraced her and felt her once again snuggling into my chest.

"You smell good."

I chuckled, and gently rocked her. "You need sleep." She nodded and backed away, turning towards the Louise-Phillipe room. Quickly grabbing her hand, I turned her back to me. "No, not there."

"Why not?"

I couldn't tell her there was a door into the torture room where her tormenter would hang himself come morning.

"I have a better idea."

Leading her towards a room into the back of my house, I opened a pair of double doors, revealing a full-on master suite. It was a little worse for wear, but the cool lake air kept the room hygenic.

"You should sleep here. It's far more comfortable."

Her eyes scanned the room excitedly, but still drooped from exhaustion. Leading her over to the bed, she climbed in without changing into sleepwear. I turned to leave but her tired voice stopped me.

"No, Erik. I don't want you sleeping in that... that grave-thingy." She said.

"You mean the coffin?"

"Yeah, the coffin. Don't sleep there."

I chuckled at her child-like actions. "Then where should I sleep?"

She moved over to one side of the bed and patted the empty space. "Here. Just no funny business." She said it with such finality I obviously had no choice. Smiling, I gave into her and laid down next to her on top of the blankets. "No, underneath the blankets." she said drowsily.

"I'm fine up here."

"I don't care."

"I'll just stay here."

Huffing, she groggily moved herself to on top of the blankets.

"If you're doing it, then so am I"

I just chuckled and rolled my eyes as she flipped onto her stomach and promptly fell asleep. Her mouth hang open in the slightest way, and the curve in her back slowly rose and fell with her breathing. Her peacefulness lulled me to sleep.

I awoke not soon after to find a shivering Renee with her head against my chest. I gently stroked her hair. All of a sudden her fists balled up, clutching my shirt, her brow furrowed and she began to whimper. I shook her awake, and she screamed as she shot up.

"Why did you do it?" she glared down at me. I was completely aghast. She just looked so angry.

"What do you mean?"

"You freaking bastard! You helped him! You... you gave me back!" Her anger quickly dissipated and she began to sob. My heart felt like it was being torn, shredded, and I could not help her.

"I'm not helping anyone. I never gave you to anyone." I reached out to touch her and she swatted me away.

"You gave me back to Christopher! You handed me over on a fucking silver platter!"

She had dreamt that I had betrayed her. Tears began to fill in my eyes. The hatred she had for me was unbearable. She was very different from the sleeping girl the was laying on my chest not 5 minutes ago. "No. Please no! I never betrayed you! Renee, it was a dream." I wrapped my arms around her, ignoring her trying to shove me off. Slowly she stopped, and simply wrapped her arms around mine.

"I'm sorry."

"Don't be. You're safe."

"Thank you."

"You're welcome. It's not morning yet, you should sleep some more."

"Will you please stay?"

"Of course."

"Can we sleep under the blankets, because I'm freezing."

"If you wish."

She crawled underneath the blankets, pulling them back for me. I crawled in after her and laid down. She once again laid her head on top of my chest. I gave her about an hour and a half before gently sliding out of the bed. Placing a chaste kiss on her forehead, I turned and put on my cloak and fedora.

This cannot wait to morning.

Christopher's POV:

That goddamn son of a bitch.

It was all I could think about. After waking up from him drugging me, I realized I was in a mirrored, hexagonal room with no door and one metal tree with a noose.

And then, all of a sudden, that son of a bitch was in there with me.

"Hello."

I did not respond.

"Now, now, Christopher Vraiment. Didn't your mother teach you manners? A gentleman responds when greeted."

"A gentleman responds to gentlemen. Not scum"

"That's no way to be! After all, only scum would abuse a woman. And, lucky you, I'm still being polite."

"Goddamn you! Give her back! She's mine! I OWN her!" I said, punching the ground and standing up. The man was tall, but I still rose to his forehead.

"No, I believe you do not understand. I own her. I own her loyalty, and therefore her."

All the sudden the mirrors span, and I was surrounded in a hot, dry jungle. There were thousands of the metal trees and thousands of nooses. But most importantly, there were thousands of him. And every single one was glaring down at me.

"What the hell?" I said, sweat starting to drop down my face. The masked son of a bitch didn't look at all fazed. The mask infuriated me. I wanted to see this son of a bitch. "Take off your mask, you coward!"

All he did was grin. "I've never been one to back down from a challenge."