Chapter 15

Renee was led over to the other side of the dormitory by her Madame Giry, which seemed to be different from Erik's Madame Giry.

He must be remebering her as the old ballet mistress.

She sat down with her Madame silently, watching Erik talk with his. He was acting so demure, she had never seen it before. In fact, it fascinated her to such an extent that she hadn't even noticed her Madame was talking to her.

"Renee? Is there a reason you are ignoring me? Has he threatened you not to talk?" She was obviously worried.

"No, no he hasn't threatened me." Renee simply replied. She would rather not go into depth on what exactly had transpired between them.

"Are you sure? Has he hurt you?"

She seems so worried, like she knows something I don't.

"No, he hasn't hurt me. Yes, I'm sure." Renee lied. Although it wasn't a complete lie. She barely had a bruise from him throwing her, and the rest had been emotional trauma above all else.

Madame Giry didn't talk much more, obviously sensing that Renee wasn't going to tell her what was going on between her and the Phantom.

As Renee watched Madame Giry the older and Erik's dynamic conversation, a thought came to her. "How's the ballet doing? I hope it wasn't to hard to coreograph my absance, I didn't have a very large role."

Madame Giry the younger chuckled. She hadn't known Renee for as long as some of the other girls, but it was obvious she was very dedicated, and often placed herself last. "We've done just fine. Although, one of the patrons noticed your absence on the first night. You see, we didn't have time to adjust the program." As she said it, Giry noticed Renee getting tense.

Caring as Renee was, Giry also noticed she was almost always on guard, like something or someone was chasing her.

Christopher has noticed... Will he move on? Of course not, my name was in the program, so he knows I was here. He will probably ask around. Someone is bound to tell him about the Opera Ghost... Will he put the pieces together?

Part of her felt she should have been overjoyed. She could easily be rescued! However, an infinitely larger part was fearful. Honestly, Erik had done nothing to her compared to Christopher, and if she remebered correctly, he actually comforted her after she told him her backstory.

Why would he do that? I'm his prisoner for God's sake! He should have laughed at my weakness, or used it against me, or... or something, right? This is how these things are supposed to be...

She was twidling her thumbs and staring at her hands. Had she looked up, she would have noticed Erik had silentely moved to stand in front of her.

He cleared his throat. This needed to be quick, like ripping off a bandage. She looked up at him.

This is it. She will without a doubt want her freedom. This will be the last time she looks at me with those gorgeous green eyes...

Erik felt Madame Giry nudge him from behind.

Might as well get this over with...

"Renee, I... I want you to know that if you wish to leave, or rather, to stay here," he motioned around himself at the dormitory, "I will not prevent you."

"Bu-"

He interupted whatever she was about to say. "However, I won't be able to protect you, either. Renee, know I am sorry for what I have done to you, and that it won't happen again."

She was silent. Erik hadn't been expecting that at all. He had expected her to jump at the idea of freedom and never look back. Renee. sighed and turned to Meg.

"Is there any hope of me avoiding him if I stay?" she asked eagerly.

Erik, assuming she was reffering to him said, "I will not bother you again. I swear."

Renee shook her head. "You should know who I'm talking about, you sort of forced it out of me," she said, venom tainting her voice slightly.

The Girys were shocked. In the last 5 minutes not only had they heard the infamous Phantom of the Opera apologize, they also heard a ballet girl speak rudely to him, and he did nothing but absorb her punches.

Madame Giry the elder spoke to Renee first. "I'm afraid there is nothing we can do. If what you told me was correct, you are legally married, which means he can legally take you without so much as a question asked."

Renee nodded slightly and stood up. "I... I can't believe I'm saying this, but I will stay." Before Erik could speak another word, she continued. "On one condition: I can come up to the surface every so often."

Erik was suprised. (As were the Girys. She was negotiating with him? And he was listening?) He hadn't expected her to stay. With a slightly submissive and pleading tone he said, "You will no longer be a captive, rather, a guest, and may visit the surface as you please."

She wasn't saying anything, just staring at him, wide-eyed. "I will accompany you if you like, or not if you so please."

You could almost hear the gears turning in Renee's head.

He's basically saying you are free whenever you want... which means if he hurts you again you just leave. That is, if you know your way out...

"Teach me you passageways and we have a deal." She said.

Obviously. She wants to be sure she can escape if necessary. It's not a bad idea, rather clever actually. After all, I'm not always in my correct state of mind, and this would be the best way for her to protect herself from me. Erik thought.

If it means she will stay... She could learn to love me!

It also makes it more likely she will see your face and run.

The thought made loathe himself. At least when he was the Phantom he was respected, feared for his face. Was that what he wanted from Renee?

"Please, don't keep us in suspense." Renee said. Erik realized he had been silent for quite awhile.

Renee was trying to sound confident, sarcastic even, but the fear in her voice was unmistakable.

She is caring and good, yet will not submit, which is admirable. She is the light. She has a talent she doesn't even recognize. She is the opposite of me, everything which I don't deserve... Yet, I can't seem to let her go that easily... Erik thought longingly.

"Deal."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

HEEELLLLOOOO. I just feel the need to get this out of my system: Government homework is literally the worst. FREAKING POLITICS.

Anywho, rant over. I was sick all day, so I had a bit of a chance to get over some writer's block I was having. And here is the result. *high-fives self*

Your obedient and sick servant,

~Rose