Menacingly

As we walked down the crowded hallways, the scene that I had just witnessed continued to play through my mind over and over again.

Tons of emotions were running through me but I couldn't figure out what I was feeling, I didn't know what the emotions were, they all seemed so new to me.

"Spencer?" Lucas asked snapping a finger in front of my face. I broke out of my trance, looking up at him. Sighing, Lucas came to a stop.
"You keep zoning out."

"I'm sorry, I'm not trying to- it just keeps happening." I frowned, pulling a rubber band off of my wrist and pulling my hair up into a pony tail.

"It's nothing to apologize for," he replied quickly,"I was just making sure you were still on earth."

Sadly.

"I'm. . . I'm fine."

"It sounds like your trying to convince yourself more than you are trying to convince me." he stated as a matter of fact. I shook my head forcing a smile to play upon my lips.
"I'm fine, I promise-"

"Do you like him?" Lucas asked cutting me off. The smile I managed to form had disappeared and I came to a stop, turning to look at Lucas confusingly.
"What makes you think that?" I asked going back to my insecure state.

"I dont think you would be so upset unless that was the case and honestly I just wish. . ." he shook his head and began walking once again.
"You just wish what?" I asked.

He chuckled shaking his head from side to side,"It's honestly the dumbest thing ever."
I began walking behind him curiosity of what he wanted to say haunting me.

"I'm not going to judge you-"
"I know, I know, I just think that its a bit inappropriate for two workers to be together."

Realizing what he had just said his eyes widened, mine doing the exact same thing.
"You wish. . . that we could be together?" I asked, his eyes widened more than I thought they could as he shook his head.

"No, I wish that I had a chance to ask you to the dance tomorrow night before Toby got a chance to leave his mark," Lucas replied looking a bit nervous. "I mean- not leave his mark I know you guys didnt do anything but I mean its just- I can explain it."

"Lucas," I began, my voice soft and my eyes going back to its regular size after taking in more information that I didnt think I could handle.
He looked away from me and I placed my hand on his shoulder making his head snap back towards me. "I'll go to the dance with you."

A small smile formed on his lips.
"But," I said holding out the word longer than it needed to be, a serious look taking over my facial expression. "I dont want you to think that the only reason I'm going with you is to get back at Mr. Cavanaugh or to get my mind off of things I just want to see how this goes."

"I understand but another thing is that we're just friends. . . Best friends." he chuckled pulling open be kitchen door for us to walk in.
I looked around finally getting a good look at the scenery. Every metal was gold, cabinets were navajo white, the floor was made out of a beautiful tile, and chandeliers hung from the ceiling tops.

"Mrs. Hastings," someone said walking over in my direction with a huge smile. "Can I get you anything?"

"No." someone answered from behind me. I let my eyes close shut, slowly opening them back up as I turned around to face Toby who was already staring right at me.

"Mr. Cavanaugh is there a problem?" Lucas asked.
Toby simply raised a hand telling him not to speak before motioning for me to follow him.

"I told you that you would officially start work today." he reminded me. He held out his hand and I hesitantly took it knowing that I didnt actually have a choice.

This job was helping me keep a distane between my old life and the new life that my mom has been waiting for me to have.

She always told me that once I turned eighteen I could runaway from everything and all I will ever be is happy but. . . I'm not happy neither am I eighteen for another three days.

"Tomorrow?" Lucas asked and I nodded my head, offering a smile before being pulled out of the kitchen.

Toby guided me down the hallway deep in thought as he rubbed the dorsal of my hand with his thumb.
Feeling uncomfortable about the situation I pulled my hand away from him causing him to frown.

He reached for my hand once again but I crossed my arms over my chest to prevent it from happening.
"Whats wrong?" he asked suddenly.

I looked over at his eyes seeing the anger of getting rejected get pushed back.
I opened my mouth to speak but decided against it, not knowing how to respond.

"Is this about what happened in my office?"
"No." I answered quickly, my head shaking hysterically.
"Then what is it?"

"Nothing." I murmured as we entered a room.
Sighing, Toby walked over to the desk picking up a folder and handing it to me.
"This document has a few mistakes that I want you to fix, after that rewrite it up on the computer and prom it out," he told me. I began looking through everything as he continued speaking. "This document is very important I have to turn it in before the party tomorrow night which means it needs to be done today- not only that but you will be attending as my date."

My widened at that last part and I shook my head.
"I cant go with you to this event, Lucas already asked me." I informed him.
Annoyance took over his features,"you will be attending the dance with me, end of discussion do I make myself clear?"

"Crystal but why cant you take your girl friend?" I frowned.

"That wasnt my girl friend," he growled out grabbing my wrist and pulling me even closer to him. I gasped at the impact of hitting his chest.
"She- I dont have to explain myself to you, get the work done and next time your late big consequences are coming with it." he spoke coldly, letting go of me.

"Toby-"

Before I could finish speaking Toby had already stormed out of the room, slamming the door shut behind him causing a picture frame to shake uncontrollably.

Brushing a hand through my hair I walked over to my desk, sitting down and began looking for the mistakes.
No matter how many times I read over the document I couldn't find anything wrong with it.

My mind kept wondering over to Toby, my father, my mom, Melissa, Jason and much more for some unknown reason.
It also wondered over to the note that I received yesterday and Toby telling me that he would take care of it, but the note hasn't been brought up today so that led to two questions dancing in my head.

Did he actually handle it?

And,

Who wrote the note?