Menacingly

Once again the movie was long forgotten as Toby and I laid tangled up in the blanket tracing each others features.

My index finger traced his strong jaw line. His lips parted slightly, drawing my attention but I quickly returned my gaze to his eyes.

They read me a story and I could actually understand it. The image was more clear than they have ever been.

I yawned but kept my eyes open. A frown appeared on Toby's features as he protectively tightens his arms around my waist pulling me closer.

"Sleep."

His tone was demanding, and very bold. His facial expression had grown serious but I disobediently shook my head.

"I want to stay up a bit longer with you." I told him. Before I could finish speaking, a disproving look was casted my way.

"Your tired," he stated. I stayed quite seeing that there was more he had to say. After a moment he spoke. "How about I tell you a story?"

"Your going to tell me a story?" I repeated raising an eyebrow, clearly shocked by such words. This was a moment I have never fathomed about.

He nodded in response. "I am going to take that as a yes." he chuckled, rubbing my back soothingly.

"Once upon a time there was a caterpillar and he felt that his life was perfectly fine just the way it was until he noticed everything was green," he began softly whispering each word to me. "The sky, the sun, the grass, the tree branches, everything and all he ever wanted was something different to come along.

Eventually it did. He had discovered a beautiful rainbow butterfly but the butterfly had broken her wing.

The caterpillar decided to take care of the butterfly until her wing was fixed."

He suddenly stopped and I looked up at him. "Did he fix the butterflies wing?" I asked.
Toby shrugged. "I'll finish the story another time now sleep."

"Wait I have a question." I frowned. He raised a curious brown and I took that as a signal to continue.

"Earlier when you were on the phone. . . what was it?" I asked. The curiosity has been getting to me for as long as I could remember.

"It was nothing it was just my moms doctor calling telling me that she was okay." he answered dishonestly.

When he spoke on the phone he seemed worried and from all of the pacing and rapid speaking he sounded a bit angry.

Sighing, I decided to push all of my questions back and try to take a nap. My phone vibrated and I decided to ignore it.

"It's Lucas." Toby informed me. I wanted nothing more than to answer but I stopped myself.
"I'll talk to him later." I replied before falling into a deep sleep.

I'm sure Toby had said something before I had fallen to sleep but I hadn't heard a word he had said.

I felt like it was only a few seconds before I was getting shaken awoke. My eyes fluttered open until I could make out Toby's figure knelling in front of me.

"What take is it?" I asked, placing a hand over my mouth as I yawned. "Around eight o'clock," he informed me. "We're here."

Rubbing my eyes, I sat up grabbing my phone off of the table to see that there were multiple missed calls from Lucas.

It must be important, I thought to myself as I got up from the couch. Toby stood up fully and brushed a hand through his hair.
"Anything you want to do tonight before we head to the hotel?" he asked placing a finger under my chin, lifting it so that I was looking at him. "We can go out to eat, walk around a bit. . ."

I nodded my head once he trailed off, sliding my phone back into my pocket. "Sounds great." I smiled.

We made our way to the exit and somehow I had managed to miss the last step, twisting my ankle in the process of the fall.

I winced in pain as I tried to stand up.

Toby rushed to my side immediately, knelling down next to me. "Sit still." he told me as I squirmed in his arms.

Finally, I had stopped moving allowing him to add direct pressure to my ankle. I winced in pain moving away from him.

"We're going to have to get it checked out, I don't want the injury to worsen." he frowned, lifting my up bridal style.

I frowned refusing to look at him. Thanks to me our night is ruined.
"It's not your fault." Toby assured me. This time I knew I had spoken the words but they were soft, almost as if it could only be a thought.

I was put inside of the passenger seat of a car and Toby went around to the drivers seat. Soon we were out on the road.

"Are you use to these cars?" I asked Toby. He nodded his head offering a smile. "I come every year for a business trip but next year is supposedly going to be different so my father says."

"Is this a business trip?" I asked. He glanced at me then back at the road. "I came two months ago, I promise this is all about you."

I looked away feeling my cheeks heat up. The rest of the ride to the hospital was silent.

Toby carried me inside and a nurse walks into the waiting room with a small smile on her face.

"Mr. Cavanaugh, what can I do for you?" she asked batting her eyes innocently.
"I need a doctor." Toby responded.

"We have a new doctor he's a orthopedic- "
"Great where can I find him?" Toby asked looking around.

The nurse looked a bit irritated by this and responded through gritted teeth,"second floor room two- seventy." she then sashayed away.

Toby wasted no time in getting me to the hospital room. There was a guy with messy hair, and he was scribbling some words in a sticky note while mumbling to himself.

Toby sat me down on the check up bed then turned to the doctor who still hasn't taken notice of our arrival.

"Can we get some help?" Toby asked. The doctor glanced at us then nodded. "Sorry I've been pretty occupied these past few hours," he sits the pen down along with the stick notes. "I am Dr. Kingston, what seems to be the problem?"

He turned his attention to me and offered a friendly smile. Being polite, I smiled back.
"I think there's something wrong with my left ankle, I twisted it and now it hurts every time I try to move it." I replied.

Dr. Kingston shook his head. "That will only cause more damage, you need to put an ice pack on it and tomorrow it should be fine. If not come back and I'll see what I can do."

He knelled down reaching off my ankle but Toby stopped him. "Ice pack tonight and if its bad we'll be back tomorrow, we got it." he told him.

Dr. Kingston held his hands up in defense as he stood back up. "I'll be back with the ice pack then." he announced exiting the room.

Frowning I turned to Toby. "Let him do his job." I told him. He crossed his arms over his chest coming to stand directly in front of me.

"Did you see the way he looked at you?" he asked me. I shrugged,"it was just a smile and did you see the way that girl looked at you?" I asked.

"In my defense I didn't react to it." he retorted as a matter of fact. I stared at him for a moment before speaking. "I trust you. . . but you don't trust me."

"I do-"
"I'm back with the ice pack and I hope that you feel better soon." Dr. Kingston says handing it over to me.

I silently thank him with a head nod then turn back to Toby. Not making any sort of eye contact he lifts me then we take our leave.