Menacingly

Spencer POV

"Just take deep breaths and you'll be fine," Hanna told me for the umpteenth time causing me to get more frustrated due to the pain I was enduring and the fact that it wasn't working. "We're almost there."

Caleb turned sharply into the parking lot, stopping in front of the hospital. "Get her inside quickly, I need to find a parking spot." he said.

Toby opened my door and helped me out of the car, with the help of Hanna. Once we got inside no time was wasted as a nurse made her way towards me.

Security guards also came and stood close by. "Why are their guards?" I managed to ask Toby. "Their just here to keep the paparazzi away from you." he assured me as I was seated inside of a wheel chair.

The nurse quickly began pushing me towards a room and I blocked out everything going on as I tried to concentrate on breathing, hoping that it would ease the pain.

In and out, in and out, I reminded my self several times before I felt calmness spread as far as it could and for a moment I had forgotten about the pain.

All of the sudden as I was laid in a hospital bed all of reality- I had tried so hard to escape came crashing down on me harshly as I was being prepared for labor.

The nurse hooked me up to a machine then checked my dilation, her eyes widening. "Your almost ready, I need to get a doctor in here as fast as I can." she said before exiting the room.

"Toby," I groaned out hissing in pain before gathering enough energy to continue."The baby's early." he nodded stopping his pacing progress,"I know," he sighed taking hold of my hand. "Caleb and Hanna are calling everyone."

I squeezed his hand as another contraction coursed through my body and Toby's eyes widened but he kept his mouth shut. I loosened my grip on his hand and he sighed out in relief.

The door swung open and a doctor entered the room a long with a different nurse. After pulling on some gloves the doctor turned to me,"Your ready so all you have to do is take some deep breaths and push as hard as you can on the count of three."

Nodding my head impatiently, I began taking deep breaths and by the count of three I was pushing as hard as I could, giving it my all but my all didn't seem as if it was good enough.

"Again." the doctor demanded before I had time to catch my next breath. Mentally counting in my head, I pushed again and the nurse smiled at me.

"I can see the head- this time I want you to push as hard as you can."

I shook my head,"I can't do it."

"Come on Spencer!" The doctor demanded. I shook my head,"I can't do it." I repeated in sobs. Toby knelled down next to me, using his free hand to wipe away my tears.

"Push as hard as you can and everything will be over," he told me as comforting as he could. "Just one more push."

Closing my eyes I pushed as hard as I could then gasped for air once I was able to hear a cry. "Congratulations its a boy." the doctor announced. I smiled weakly but my smile soon faded once I realized I only heard one cry.

The doctor quickly cut the cord and handed the baby to the nurse, opening the door for her as she exited the room.

"What's going on?" I asked looking between Toby and the doctor, waiting for either one of them to respond to my question.

"Your baby has stopped breathing," the doctor responded grabbing his clip board. I gasped as my eyes filled with more tears than I had shed already. "It's most likely due to the fact that he's premature, we're going to do everything we can for your baby."

With that said the doctor also exited the room and I broke down in tears. Toby wrapped his arms around me and I cried into his shirt. "Spencer you need to rest," Toby said after a while, gently pushing me back onto the bed. "I'll keep an eye on him."

I had the urge to list every reason as to why I didn't want to go to sleep but my body spoke for itself as my eyes shut down on me. He kissed my forehead and soon I had fallen into a restless sleep.

Toby POV

I exited the hospital room and walked back to the waiting room to see that everyone had already arrived.

"How's Spencer and the baby?" Jason asked me. I sighed,"Spencer is fine," I admitted. "I'm not sure about the baby."

"What do you mean your not sure about the baby?" Caleb asked walking over to me. I sighed once again,"All the doctor said was that the baby want breathing."

The excitement that once filled the room knocked down a few pegs to a non- existent filling. Caleb placed a hand on my shoulder and frowned deeply. "I'm sorry Toby."

Rubbing a hand through my hair I walked over to one of the seats and sat down, leaning forward and catching my head in the palm of my hands listening to nothing but silence.

He'll be fine, I assured myself now leaning back in the chair. Everything will turn out to be just fine.

It was exactly an hour later when my name had finally been called. "Mr. Cavanaugh?" the voice rung in my ears.

I looked up seeing a man standing in the doorway looking down at his clipboard.

Quickly, I rose from my seat and made my way over to him. "How is my son?" I asked wasting no time tkt engage in other conversations.

"He's going to be fine," he stated. "However his breathing pattern may be a bit off so he will have to wear a respirator for a few weeks to get that back on track."

Relief took over as soon as the man finished speaking. "Can I see him?" I asked and he nodded motioning for me to follow him. We walked into the nicu floor of the hospital and he led me into a room.

My son was in one of the baby incubator and there were wire and tubes coming from him.

"I'll give the two of you a minute." the doctor smiled softly and walked out of the room. I made my way over to the incubator and looked at him.

The moment I looked at him I couldn't help but smile. Reaching in I grabbed his hand and felt as he faintly held onto my index finger.

"Kayden," I cooed softly.

She leaned further back into my chest as I began to rub her shoulders. "Have you thought of any names?" she asked me.

"Kayden or Mason." I replied. She took a moment to think about it before finally responding. "I like the name Kayden better."

"Why is that?"

"I don't know," she admitted. "The name Kayden just sounds. . . perfect.

"Your going to be okay."