Menacingly

Spencer POV

Dear Spencer,

Years ago I had lost the business and needed help so I had called in Dean. He wanted to take over but I didn't let that happen, Jason was next in line to take over. He refused to help unless there was a way for him to take over, I was the closest to surpassing the Cavanaughs and he wanted that so he made an offer saying that once you were old enough you would have to marry him. He didn't want Melissa he skipped right to you and still to this day I don't understand why he did that.

I refused once again and he gave me his card saying that if I changed my mind then give him a call. I never called him but a few weeks later he showed up anyways. He gave me a contract and I read it through, it sounded fine. I didn't see anything in there about you it was just about the company but I should have read the fine print. I didn't hand you over to him I handed myself over to him which gave him control over me.

When you turned sixteen Toby and I made an agreement that he would keep you safe. In the past you have met him before which explains how you could ever be so comfortable with him. I didn't tell him what was going on but he knew something was wrong and thankfully was willing to help, believe it or not you changed him. Last I remember he was just like his father until you came along.

I'm sorry I don't have enough time to explain everything else and I'm sorry for everything I did. I know you wont forgive me but I hope you do so we can move past this.

After reading the unsigned note I didn't know how to feel about it, I had mixed emotions. One side of me wanted to forgive him and the other side of me that believed he was the reason my mom was in the hospital wanted nothing to do with him.

"We've met before." I meant it to be a statement almost like a matter of fact but it came out as a question. I looked over to him and he hadn't registered what I had just said, his focus was on the world outside of the car.

I decided not to state it again. Once the words had gotten out I realized that this was a conversation that I was not yet ready to have with him. My thoughts were scattered like an unsolved puzzle piece and the more I learn the harder it is to put the piece together.

I had no main focus. Everything has an answer is something that my mom use to tell me and of course I believed it but now its getting hard to do so.

Yawning I placed a hand over my mouth forcing myself to stay awake. "We're almost there," Caleb assured me from the drivers seat. "We just need to get in and out."

I nodded already able to see the house. "Isn't that Lucas car?" Hanna asked pointing to a black Bentley. Considering I had never seen Lucas car there was no response coming from me.

"There's no way of telling," Emily responded. "Recently I've been seeing tons of people with that car." Aria stuck her hand out pointing to the car,"Someone is in it, maybe we should check it out."

"What if it's not Lucas?" I asked. "We'll walk up to a strangers and then what?" I looked in the direction she was pointing and it was true that someone was in the car but it was hard trying to see who it was with the slightly tinted windows.

"If its not him we'll just ask for directions to some random place." she responded as Caleb parked the car by a bush. We all got out of the car and there was no point in Aria going to see whether it was Lucas or not because the car door opened and a man got out.

He came walking our way stopping just under a street light leaving a good amount of distance and I immediately recognized him. "Spencer," he greeted offering a smile. "What are you doing here?"

"I was going to ask you the same thing." I admitted nonchalantly taking a few steps forward. "Your father handed the business over to me and I also inherited this house."

Inherited. "That means your a Hastings as well." I stated and he smiled. "It does," he admitted motioning for all of us to follow him which we did immediately. "I've heard about your. . . memory loss." another person that I've met before in the past.

I just nodded not knowing how to respond to what he had said. We entered the building. "At least we don't have to break in." Caleb mumbled under his breath looking around the place.

"So why are you here?" Charles asked me. Hanna stood next to me and responded,"Spencer left some things here and she thought that if we all came together we could just grab what she needed and left."

Mentally I sighed. My phone vibrated in my pocket and I looked at the other girls to see if it was just me this time but it wasn't.

Emily pulled her phone out to check it but the rest of us didn't follow in pursuit not wanting to look suspicious.

"Okay grab what you need but be careful there's some guy that works here I think he said his name was. . . I don't remember but he seems pissed off about something." He just be upset that my father bailed on him.

Charles left the room and I turned to face Toby. "Are you coming with me to the basement?" I asked him. He raised a brow,"When did a basement become part of the plan I thought you wanted to talk to Ian?"

I shrugged,"Ian is irrelevant as of right now, there's file cabinets down there somewhere," he nodded and I led the way. "They have a map of the place right?"

"Everything will be fine just focus on your part, like Caleb said its in and out."

Entering a hall we walked down the steps that creaked with every step we took and I flicked a light switch on once we reached the bottom. Looking around there were mostly boxes and dust everywhere.

"Are you sure there's a file cabinet down here?" he asked me. Looking around I walked up to a corner and moved a box to see a safe sitting on the floor. Bending down I ran my finger over the dust to see the initials MH on it.

"Spencer hurry up." Melissa yelled from down stairs as she flicked on the light. I ran down the stairs and stopped in the center of the room.

"What if Jason finds us down here, he was suppose to be watching us." I frowned looking around at the place. "We'll be fine now look at this." she opened up a safe and began pulling out papers.
"What's this?" I asked picking up a paper that seemed to have been a little burnt. Melissa grabbed it and shrugged,"Dad keeps papers stashed in here he told me that one day it would come in handy whatever that means," she replied. "Its mostly about Jason inheriting this place."

"Inheriting?" I repeated not remembering herring that word before. She smiled,"It means in the future when dads gone this place belong to him and no one else."

Other than Toby placing a hand on my back realization had broken me out of memory lane. "You okay?" Toby asked me. I nodded,"We should probably hurry up."