Menacingly

"Melissa." I repeated once I had fully grasped onto the situation in hand. Her head bobbed slowly and her eyes filled with regret as mine filled with betrayal.

I could tell that she wanted to explain herself but she said nothing which was good. I wasn't ready to listen.

We all shared a brief moment of silence before a waitress had broken it apart. "Thank you for waiting patiently, is there anything I could get for you today?" she asked over zealously.

When no one responded she began to get uncomfortable. "Should I come back later or-" Toby cut her off.
"A glass of water with extra ice."

The waitress let out a sigh murmuring something incoherent under her breath as she walked away to go get the drink.

Even with her gone no one had spoke up. She eventually came back, placing the drink in front of Toby then quickly walking off as if she was trying to forget this whole experience.

Toby slowly undid his straw, sliding it into the water then taking a short sip. Suddenly, he pushed the water in front of me and spoke.

"Someone start explaining."

My throat grew dry and I couldn't help but think that Toby had expected this would happen. Holding the straw in place, I drank some of the refreshing water while Toby rubbed my back in circles.

Leaning back, I laid my head against Toby's shoulder feeling a bit swamped in emotions by the fact that my supposedly dead sister was well alive and sitting right across from me.

"When we were younger Melissa told me that she wouldn't leave me behind," I began, a tear already sliding down my cheek. "I don't want to hear an explanation of why I was left for dead."

Melissa frowned deeply. "Can you just let me explain?" she asked. Once again the two of us shared a moment until I broke the gaze. "Fine."

Toby brushed my tear away and I adjusted my head to look at him. He offered a faint smile but I couldn't offer one back.

"Start at beginning." Wren said entwine their fingers together. She nodded then sucked in a deep breath.

"I know you don't have much time so first I need to clear something up," she stated with her voice quivering almost like she was cold. "T-The night Jason had died you died before I left I heard you crying and telling yourself that it was your fault but. . . it wasn't your fault," she sobbed. "If you had actually sat there and did nothing then you wouldn't haves gotten hurt."

"But I remember watching as it happened-" she cut me off turning to look at Toby.
"When our father had hurt her she was only six years old and she became unconscious, by the time she woke up she couldn't remember anything happening so he took advantage of that."

"Why would he do that?" Toby asked deep in thought about these new learning's.
"Abusers can Mentally abuse and physically abuse." Wren told him.

Melissa nodded her head to back up what Wren had just said. "Spencer knows it's not her fault but she doesn't. . . she can't know that for a fact," Melissa informed him. "The real story won't change that."

I frowned.

As the three continued the conversation- carefully choosing their words as if I was a piece of glass- I tried remembering the real story.

When I couldn't do it tears had filled my eyes. I would always believe that it was my fault and there was nothing I could do.

I looked down at my lap so that my hair blocked my face.
"Can we leave?" I asked causing the talking to stop.

After a moment, Toby tilted my chin up to look at him through my unshed tears.

His head turned back to Melissa and Wren as he frowned.
"She wasn't ready to hear all of this," he explained. "It's too much for her to take in right now so you have to give her some time."

"Wren and I should be moving back to New York, we had already bought a house and everything so when your ready just let me know," Melissa managed out as Toby and I rose from the table. "Please?"

She stood up along with Wren and handed me a paper with a phone number on it.

I looked at it for quite some time before nodding my head. "Toby's right," I admitted. "I just need some time but I'll call when I'm ready."

She nodded her head with an imperceptible smile. "Take good care of her," she told Toby. "I can see that she trust you more than she even trust me so don't break her heart."

"I wasn't planning on it." he replied guiding me out of the place before all of the glares I received deepened. If that was possible at the moment.

Before I could get in the car Toby turned me around to face him. "When we get the house I need you to go straight to the room, I need to see what's going on with my mom before you meet her."

I nodded impatiently. "Can we go home now?" I asked. "I just want to get in my bed-" he cut me off.
"My bed." he corrected with his usual smirk. Feeling tired I just nodded my head.

Toby helped me into the car before going over to his side and soon we were out onto the road.

It didn't take long for us to arrive at the private jet. Once we had entered the jets living room I sat down on coach crossing my left leg over my right leg which stayed firmly planted on the ground.

"Do you want to watch a movie?" Toby asked plopping down next to me. I knew that when he said this it was a way of telling me to relax.

We never seemed to actually watch the movies we just talked until Toby demanded that I slept.
I nodded getting off the couch to grab the brown polyester knit blanket out of a cabinet before laying down on the couch in front of Toby so that we were spooning.

Toby had closed the shades so that it was now dim and turned the TV to a volume that allowed us to talk and hear what was going on.

"You knew my sister was alive?" I asked though it came out more as a matter of fact. Truthfully yet hesitantly he nodded, moving my hair out of the way so that he could nuzzle into the crook of my neck.

"Caleb had stumbled upon some information about her when he was trying to figure out what connection you may have with whoever keeps sending you those messages," he explained. "He told me about Melissa and since your birthday was coming up I already had everything planned although you were originally suppose to meet her last week."

I grabbed his hand that had been smoothly gliding back and fourth on my leg and moved it so that it was around my waist as I turned to face him, throwing my leg over his waist.

After I did so, I became nervous. This wasn't something that I could see myself doing being as shy as I was.

Toby chuckled somehow reading my mind. "You don't have to be nervous around me just. . . relax."

As he said this he leans forward trailing butterfly kisses from my shoulder up to a sensitive part on my neck.

My eyes fluttered shut as he traveled up to my ear, pulling me closer to him in the process.

"Sleep."

I tucked my head under his chin and complied to his demand.