Menacingly

Toby POV

"Why wouldn't you want me to be happy?" I asked her. She tilted her head almost menacingly and as she smiled I could see exactly how crazy she has gotten since she's last been here. "You weren't happy Toby," she chuckled. "Alison was using you and you were too blind to see it so if anything I did you a favor and for all I know Spencer could be using you too, the baby was only so the two of you would get tied together. . . it could have just been me and you like we had planned."

"Like we had planned?" I repeated confusingly taking part of my time to think back to whether the conversation existed. "Spencer is nothing of what you described and I'm not going to allow you to put my son in a place where it seems as if he's the only reason I keep her around," I paused inhaling a deep breath, the ending of my statement not coming out as I hoped. "I love Spencer and Kayden, my world will always revolve around them and you knew that so once again I'm going to ask. . . why wouldn't you want me to be happy?"

She scoffed,"Your guess is as good as mine," she responded. "You should probably leave, your new life awaits you but I do hope to see you again in the future." she turned her head away from me and I got up from my seat to leave her room that seemed to be a perfect replica of a jail cell.

   I wasn't playing the same as I use to. I placed the guitar down next to me and began tracing my moms signature when I heard a cry come through the baby monitor. Getting up from my couch, I walked across the hall and leaned against the door farms just to watch Spencer tickling Kayden who was a laughing mess. She looked up to me and smiled,"I didn't know you were back." she admitted and I nodded holding a firm grip onto the velvet box that was currently in my pocket,"I've been here for an hour," I admitted letting go of the box once she yawned. I knelt down, and grabbed Kayden from her. "Your tired?" I asked as if it wasn't obvious.

   "I didn't get enough sleep last night." she responded and I frowned for multiple reasons. The plan I had in my mind had just been canceled and I knew the reason for her tiredness. "Yesterday was another busy day at work." I responded but watched as she brushed it off as if it was nothing when in reality it was everything. "I know there's a lot you have to catch up on." she told me.

   I played Kayden down in his crib watching as his bottom lip quivered. I shook my head," Go to sleep." I demanded, grabbing his pacifier off of the dresser and placing it in his mouth. He looked at me for a while attempting to keep his eyes open but failing miserably. I lifted Spencer off of the floor bridal style and walked to our room, pulling the covers back and lying her down. Her hand wrapped around my wrist as I turned to walk away. "Your leaving?" she asked me. Shaking my head I responded,"I'm just going to take a shower."

   She let go of me and I walked inside of the bathroom, turning the water all the way to hot. Hot water always seemed to help me think clearly. Walking into the room afterwards I placed the box inside of my drawer and pulled on a pair of Calvin underwear. My time will come, I thought as I pulled Spencer close to unable to be surprised when she turned around, deciding to use my chest as a pillow. It didn't matter when she had did this but it was the fact that I had to leave for work early without waking her up although I knew she would be disappointed.

   Making her even more disappointed some nights I had spent at the office. The change I've made wasn't one I could say that I was proud of seeing that it was becoming an issue. I listens to Spencer's soft snoring while rubbing up and down her spine eventually falling to sleep. The next morning everything seemed different, almost normal as I was blinded by a bright light. It took time for my mind to process what was happening when I realized that I had slept in.

   I tried sitting up but stopped before I could move an inch more. Blinking I managed to adjust my eyes to the light and for the second time in a long time Spencer had rolled on top of me in her sleep. I looked at the clock seeing that I was two hours behind schedule but what surprised me most was how I wasn't in a rush. I didn't want to remove Spencer from me, I wanted her to sleep in for as long as she wanted but neither of those lasted long. I turned on my side slowly letting her slide onto the bed and her eyes fluttered open to look at me.

   "You shouldn't be here." she murmured. I could tell she was still half asleep once her eyes fluttered shut. "Do you want me to leave?" I chuckled softly getting out of bed anyways. She shook her head,"We never have time to watch movies together anymore." she was right it had been the beginning of this year when we had last done that. I kissed the corner of her lips,"Go back to sleep baby."

   There was no need to repeat myself. Before I had even come across my words she had already fallen into a deep sleep. Walking into the closet, I picked out a blue suit and put it on before going to brush my teeth which I should have done before getting dressed. Secondly, I checked up on Kayden who slept peacefully. Lastly, as usual I skipped breakfast and made my way out to my Bugatti Veyron soon making my way to work.

   I had took the long way not caring since I was already late and made it there in approximately thirty minutes

   I had took the long way not caring since I was already late and made it there in approximately thirty minutes. Today I felt like a drive was what I needed. I pulled into my usual parking space, recognizing the car that was placed next to mine. "Why are you here?" I asked Jenna. Her head turned in the direction of my voice and I raised my brows moving forward to take off her glasses to see bandages covering them each. "What happened?"

   "You may not know this but a few days ago my house exploded because of a gas leak and damaged my eyes." she responded and I placed her glasses on her again. "Okay so why are you here?"

   Her head cocked to the side,"My eyes are healing wonderfully thank you for asking," she smiled her twisted smile. I rolled my eyes waiting for an answer. "I had to drop some things off to Garrett but I'll be leaving now, lets go Sara."

   I looked in the divers seat to see Sara with the same twisted smile as Jenna and I took note of her gloved hands. "Jenna you never told me that you were related to the man that saved my life." Sara stated. Jenna shrugged,"I guess it's true what they say, it is a very small world."

   I turning away from the both of them and walked inside of the office without looking back, ignoring the press completely. Ever since I had been spotted bringing Kayden with me to work while Spencer visited her mom they have been more questions than I could keep up with. By the time I had made it into my office my body guards had taken care of the problem and my first priority had just entered. "Lucas just the man I wanted to see," I sat down in my seat raising a hand in curiosity. "It's been a while and you haven't been around but I'm still going to inform you that if you ever-" I paused making sure he was listening carefully. "Talk to Spencer the way you did there will be consequences and with those consequences even more on top of that do I make myself clear?"

   "Mr. Cavanaugh I-" I cut him off narrowing my eyes deeply, burning a whole through him with my own eyes. "Do I make myself clear?" I repeated and I'm sure he knew how much I hated of repeat myself in these moments. "Yes Mr. Cavanaugh." he responded leaving my office afterwards.

   I stared at the door for just a few more seconds before looking down at my mail, one that specifically caught my eye. It was from Wilden who was supposedly dead. I opened it up and it was simple.

He's taking us out one by one.
-Wilden

   My cellphone rang and I pulled it out answering it. "May I please speak with Toby Cavanaugh?" the lady asked. I furrowed my brows together,"Speaking."

   "Your brother has assigned me to call you down to the sanitarium immediately there has been an accident with your mother."