Epilogue

Spencer POV

Toby swam around the pool flawlessly with our four year old daughter who had been born two years after Kayden. She'd fallen off a few times but her floatie had kept her afloat. He stopped suddenly and looked up at me, brushing the water away from his eyes. "What were you thinking about?" He asked me. I kicked my feet around inside of the water,"I can't stop thinking about everything we've been through just to get here."
"I think about it every night." he admitted. He placed Riley inside of the water much to her dismay.

Toby had never showed in signs of thinking about what happened in the past so I'd assumed that I was the only one who had been dwelling in it. I slid into the pool and went to help Kayden take off his arm floaties. He knew how to swim perfectly fine but I still hadn't grown fond of the idea where I let him wonder into the deep end. "It almost felt like everything was happening currently." while I was thinking my mind had sent me traveling back to relive past events. Some events were meant to be remembered but others I wished would be forgotten.

"I've never thought that deeply into it before." he admitted. He removed Riley's floatie as well and we'd all exited the pool. The bush began shaking vigorously but soon a jack rabbit came running out. They were usually around when it was fall but I've never seen them outside of the secret garden. "Do you have to go to work tonight?" Kayden asked. Riley shook her head,"No stupid." he glared at her but I glared at Toby. "I was talking to Caleb the other day on the phone," he held his hands up in defense before looking down at the two. "Rye, don't call your brother stupid it's not nice alright?"

"It's not?" she frowned looking up at me and I nodded knelling down in front of her, taking hold of both of her arms. "Your not in trouble." I assured her. Riley was a very sensitive girl, when she felt she'd done something wrong she was disappointed in herself. "Do you want to play with my cars?" Kayden asked to lighten her mood and she nodded, a smile making its way to her eyes. I stood up straight. "Get dressed, we'll call you down for lunch soon." Toby said but not before wrapping a towel around each of them so they'd dry off.

"So you don't have work?" Kayden asked again. We simultaneously shook our heads from one side to the other. He nodded then grabbed Riley's hand, leading her into the house. "Their adorable."
"Of course their our kids." Toby chuckled pulling out pizza ingredients. He rolled out the dough and I put the pizza sauce and cheese before he finished with putting pepperonis only on one side. "Let's watch a movie together as a family for once. We've never had time before." I said out of the blue.

Toby thought took time thinking about it. "We should do it, I've never realized this before." so later in the day as planned we'd closed the curtains and gathered together as a family on the couch. A comfortable blanket perfectly draped over us. You'd think that this would have been a perfect ending but the screen switched to the flash flood warning screen although it was bright and sunny outside. A message slid across the screen almost too quick to read but I managed. Enjoy it while you have it. -A

The screen soon flashed back to the movie and I glanced up at Toby letting worry fill my eyes. He leaned his forehead onto mine. He didn't say anything he just pecked my lips pouring all of his calming words into it. "We're going to be fine." was what I had gotten out of it. Whether I believed it or not it had calmed me so I pulled back, laid my head on his shoulder, and listened to my heart instead of my head. I stayed in the moment.
➷ ➸ ➹

The end