Chapter Sixteen (1)

Kenneth's POV

"You can go." I tell the boy in front of me and with a bow, he leaves my office.

I turn the pages of my book and scribble something on the paper as the door opens. I look up and frown when I see who just walked in. The boy is very tiny, something I wasn't expecting. I smell his scent and frown deeper when I discover he actually is a dominant.

He bows in greeting and I motion for him to sit down.

I'm currently in my office and not the one I have in my house but the other that I have. I built an outside of house office for other things. One of which is happening at the moment.

The application of a job as a guard at the palace.

It isn't an application where one has to write a letter or something, but it is more of an interview. An interested person has to come and meet me for questioning. I assess these people and deem them worthy for training test. I may let everyone go to training test but not everyone passes. After the training test comes another test which determines if one is worthy to be a royal guard or not.

The thing about the boy before me is that he looks tiny. Most of the guys coming here are big and muscly, but this one is not. He sits firmly on the chair and he's not shaking like how others do. He doesn't even look nervous to be here and that's a good thing. But I have an age limit and I wonder if this guy is underage for this interview.

"How old are you?" I ask.

"I'm 19 years old alpha." He replies without a stutter and I hide my surprise at his answer. He was definitely not underage but looked like one.

"Name?"

"Lane Jessie Ashbury."

"Why do want to become a guard?"

"I want to help the royal family in anyway that I could."

I sigh and drop my pen on the book and pin down a look at Lane. This was hopeless.

"Lane, do you know what is like to be a royal guard?" I ask and he nods. "There are so many threats that my family meets and you have to protect us with your life if the situation calls for it. You are not strong Lane. You are 19 and still look like a 15 year old. I don't think even if you train, that some muscles will come on you. So please stop this. Go back home. This is a dangerous task and you are not worth it." I tell him and he stands up looking disappointed. He shakes his head as he is walking to the door but then he stops and turn back to look at me.

"Why?" He ask and before I reply, he keeps talking. "Why me? All I wanted was to be a warrior and help out my pack. My alpha denied me of that no matter how much I wanted to be a warrior. He judged me by my looks and deemed me unworthy. He never gave me a chance to prove myself otherwise. My mother told me that it wasn't my fate to be the warrior of the pack and that time will come for me to be one. I waited for my time and when I heard about the interviews that the King has in order to recruit new guards, I travelled here. I thought that maybe because you are the King, you won't look down on me and judge me by my weak body. But I was wrong. You are just like my alpha. You thinking can't be a guard by muscle but what about my brain? My wisdom is all I have and I thought that would be enough for me to offer as help since I have no muscle. But now I know that wisdom will never be enough without muscle."

I know that I can't hide my surprise at the moment. Lane spoke up to me, which is something many wouldn't do. I liked his story and I know I was wrong when I sent him off because he has no muscles. If he has another thing like he said, then I have to find out if it's worth it enough to make up for the missing muscle.