Chapter 3

Albert departed home a week late, after father had wrote to the headmaster of his school of the recent events in our household. I hated seeing my brother leave. It pained me to the point where it physically hurt. Albert had spent the night in my bed, holding me tight as we attempted to sleep. Neither of us really slept more than a few hours at a time.

"Abigail, it's not forever," Albert said as he re-entered my room. He had changed into his school uniform as Helen, Mr. Gray's sister, finished lacing my dress up. "It feels like forever." I said, allowing my chin to quiver. Helen took my hand and squeezed it once before leaving my room.

"What will I do next year? When both you and Daniel leave for school? And then when Gabriel leaves for school? And then when I marry and the rest of you marry? I do not think my heart can handle it." I whispered. Albert sighed and kneeled next to me.

"You will always be my sister—our sister. We will always be there for you. But one day you will need to be strong and live the life you were meant to. " Albert took my hand and kissed it softly. "Be strong for me, please." I nodded my head once as Albert stood and pulled me into his arms.

"I believe it is time for me to leave." He said softly. "Could I convince you to stay?" I whispered as he left my room. Albert kissed my head and continued walking until we reached the ground floor. My family stood waiting at the front door, and Mr. Gray hovered not too far behind them. Albert set me down and took my hand, giving it a squeeze.

"Be strong, I shall see you before your season starts." He said, kissing my cheek once more. He moved to hug our mother and grandmother, and then Katrina and the twins. He shook hands with Papa, Grandfather and our brothers, stopping to threaten Henry before engulfing him into a hug. "I shall write when I arrive back at school! I love you all!" He exclaimed before leaving out the front door. I paused for a moment before gathering all my strength and running after him.

"Lady Abigail!" Mr. Gray shouted after me. I ran down the steps and into the snow, collapsing in the white fluffiness. Mr. Gray landed next to me, soiling his own clothes in the snow. He shed his jacket and placed it around my shoulders before putting his arms around me. "Lady Abigail, we must go inside before you catch a cold."

I shook my head, pushing his jacket to the ground. "Leave me be." I whispered, fisting my hands in my skirt. I could feel my back tensing, locking me into this crumpled position. Mr. Gray tried to lift me up and pain shot up my body. "Leave me be!" I screamed. Mr. Gray touched my back, ever so gently, and it seized, sending a horrid spasm up my back. I opened my mouth to scream, but nothing would come out.

"Abigail," Mr. Gray said, his eyes widening. He turned towards my family and yelled to them that it was my back. "Abigail, look at me. We will get this problem solved. I promise you this." Mr. Gray slid his arms around my body and lifted me into his arms. He stood and ran back to the house, pushing past my family and up the front staircase.

"Helen, get my things from my room!" He barked at his sister as he barged into my room. Helen did as she was told, scurrying from the room. Mr. Gray laid me down gently on my bed before stripping me down to my slip and corset. "Please forgive me, Abigail, but it must be done." I moaned in pain, fisting my hands in the bedding.

"I don't want to live like this anymore!" I cried, thrashing my head from side to side. Mr. Gray slid his hands to my neck, trying to grab my head and hold it in place. "No more pain, Mr. Gray." I whimpered. Mr. Gray looked at me with wide eyes as Mother, Father and Daniel charged into the room.

"Mr. Gray, what happened? Why is she in pain?" Mama questioned, rushing to my side. The spasm continued, making my body seize and contract like I was possessed. "Do something!" She shouted at Mr. Gray. I felt Mr. Gray's thumbs stroke my cheeks gently.