Chapter 5

Victor Gray

I watched as Helen and the young lords came my way. The boys looked around for their sister and shrugged when they could not see her. They must have guessed that she was cold and went back inside. Helen, on the other hand, grabbed my hand and pulled me aside.

"Where is Abigail? Why is she not with you?" She asked.

"We had a disagreement and she went back inside." I said, just loud enough for her to hear.

"The two of you always have disagreements. How was this one any different?" Helen asked. "What was the argument about?"

"She wanted to secure me a job with her uncle. I told her I knew what was best for the two of us." I said, paraphrasing my words.

"What did you say exactly? That would not have made her so angry." Helen said. I looked at the ground, rubbing the back of my neck. She would surly kill me for this.

"I called the two of you children." I said quietly. I felt Helen slap me across the face. "What was that for!" I exclaimed.

"You're a bloody idiot! I don't know why Katrina and I ever thought the two of you would be a match. You are too pig-headed to see anything but my safety. For once, I just want you to live for you, and not me. You better apologize to her before you lose her!" Helen snapped.

"Match? What are you talking about?"I questioned, raising my eyebrow at Helen. "She is not interested in a man like me. I am twelve years her senior, I won't be able to give her the life she is used to. Helen, I am a fugitive! If she would even consider marrying me, I would disgrace her the moment the law found out who I was and what I did. There is bounty on my head for the first person to hand me over to the police. They'll hang me for treason and murder."

Helen remained silent. She was thinking of a way out and I knew it. "If you told Lord Goddard, he may be able to protect you! It could be your way out, Victor!"

"Or he would turn me over to the authorities and you to a work house. Helen, I will not see you worked to death. I would rather see her happily married to another man than be disgraced by me." I said, looking towards the house.

"Stop being a goddamn romantic, Victor! Abigail is a strong girl, stronger than the two of us combined. Do you really think that she would care if you were a lowly beggar from the streets? If she truly cares about you, which she does, she would not care what you did as long as you give her a chance to understand." Helen said, placing her hands on her hips. "I am taking the young lords inside, if you would like to join us." I nodded, following my sister back to the blanket to clean up our mess before taking the boys back inside. Daniel and Gabriel immediately ran to a different room in the house, leaving Helen and I to clean up the mess.

On our walk to the kitchen, I could tell that Helen's upset with me. I do not know how to rectify this problem. Helen placed the basket on the wooden table in the kitchen and then spun on her heel to face me. "You blundering idiot. You should have gone and begged for forgiveness. You are going to lose the only girl who cares for you more than I do." Helen said, shoving at my shoulders with two hands. "Now go and find her, you oaf!"

"Helen, I cannot—"

"You can ask her to forgive you. Now go." She said, placing her hands on her hips. I sighed, turning around and leaving the kitchen. I could never ask Abigail to be a part of my life. It would ruin her indefinitely. The police would eventually find me and hang me for my crime. And I would deserve it, for I ran from the Army like a coward. She did not deserve to have my crime associated with her.

I found Mr. Jacoby on my search, who directed me to the drawing room. I froze in place when I saw Abigail smiling and laughing. It was possibly the loveliest sound I would hear in my life. I frowned when I saw who she was laughing with, a man. A young man. I clasped my hands behind my back and made myself hidden, as to not ruin this moment—her moment.