Chapter 12

For three months, I sat beside Victor and his lawyer day after day. I reviewed document after document, argument after argument. I even practiced my line of questioning if I were to be called as a character witness in my husband's trial. Ultimately, I was there to boost my husband's morale. It seemed to work, since his demeanor began to change rapidly. Almost as rapidly as my stomach grew. It gave me great relief that our child was alive, because it gave Victor something to live for.

My father prepared the house to be evacuated the week before Christmas. Mama demanded that the family be together for the Yuletide celebrations, which included Robert and Louisa. Papa and Victor spent the time away from the study figuring out the easiest route back to Avesbury. A route to avoid the police and one that would be easy on my body.

I watched as Victor slipped into our room, already unbuttoning his vest and cravat. Helen and I sat on the bed, both of us propped up by a mountain of pillows. "Have I interrupted a scheming plot between you two?" He teased, placing his items in his open trunk.

"We were discussing baby names, Victor." Helen chided, rubbing her hand over my stomach. "And who you two would want for god parents." Victor smiled as he shook his head. He pulled off his boots and socks, leaving him in his britches and undershirt. He came to the bed and climbed behind me, removing many of the pillows so he could support me.

"And what names have you discussed?" He murmured, cupping my rounded stomach. I moved his hands towards the movement within me. He pressed a kiss to my neck as he pulled me closer to him.

"We've narrowed it down to Mary and Elizabeth if it is a girl." Helen said, moving to face her brother. "And what if it is a boy?" Victor prompted.

"I like the name Robert." I said softly. Victor kissed the back of my head as I relaxed into him. "Robert is a good name, Abigail." I grabbed his hand and laced our fingers together, nervously rubbing our hands over my stomach.

"Shall I leave you two alone?" Helen asked. Victor nodded, whispering something to his sister before she left the room. "Tell me what you are thinking, my love." Victor murmured in my ear. I turned my head and kissed his lips gently.

When I pulled back, I felt the tears stream down my cheeks. "I am terrified, Victor." I confessed. "I do not want to give birth without you. I feel so scared and flustered, Victor. I do not trust another doctor besides you—" Victor clutched me closer to him, rocking me from side to side.

"I know, my love. I know that this is difficult, for both of us. But we must stay calm. I would never risk your life in the hands of a person I did not trust." He said, kissing my tears away.

"What are you saying?" I whimpered. "I spoke with Robert the other day, about your care. He agreed that when the time came, he would take over your care. And when it comes time for you to deliver, it would put me at ease that he is your physician." I nodded sadly, pressing a kiss to his hands.

"We need to discuss what happens if I die, Victor." I whispered. "You and I both know the reality of me surviving the birth, and if I pass, I need to know we have a plan."

"I think the baby should remain in Katrina's care until I was released from prison." Victor said. "She would be able to care for the baby, and act as a wet nurse if needed." I nodded in agreement before pausing. He needed to remarry if I died. If not for himself, then for our baby.

"Victor, if I die, I want you to remarry. After a reasonable mourning period, of course." I said, kissing his ring finger. "If not for yourself, then for our child. He will need a mother figure, and it will not be his aunt for the rest of his life. I need to know that you two will be happy if I am gone. But do not let our baby forget me. I want him to know that his mother loved him and did all she could to love him and make him healthy."

"I will try, love. But you are the only wife I shall ever want, or need. But I will try, Abigail." He whispered, kissing my cheek. "Thank you," I whispered back.

"Do you think you will be able to travel tomorrow night?" Victor asked, his fingers tracing my belly.

"We shall find out, wont we?" I asked, leaning into his solid chest. Since the fifth month of my pregnancy, my back tightened at odd times. Sometimes it caused nausea and dizzy spells. "When we arrive home, will everyone really see me? Or will they see the belly?"

"They will be attracted to your belly, but in time, and with much persuasion, they will see you in time." Victor said, placing a kiss upon my lips.

"What will I do without you?" I whispered. "You have been my everything, Victor, for nearly a year now. I do not know what to do now." Victor held me, rocking me from side to side.

"Well, you'll have your parents, Katrina, Helen and Robert and his lovely bride. You won't be alone, love. I cannot say it will be easy, but you will manage. You must, for the sake of the baby." He said, hiding his face in my neck. "I hate that I must leave you. I pray every day that Brandon drops these charges." I twisted around and kissed his lips, clinging to his neck for dear life.

The following day we left at dawn for Avesbury. It was freezing, not to mention I could not handle the full journey in my condition. We did not arrive home until it was dark. Mother and Katrina were waiting on the front steps for our arrival, with Henry and my brothers behind them. Victor exited the carriage first, adjusting the hood over his head. I exited after him, clinging to his arm as we walked towards my family. I watched as my father embraced my mother tightly, kissing her fully on the lips. She blushed heavily, even though they had been married for decades.

"Oh, Abby!" She cried, pulling away from my father. She pulled me into a tight embrace, rocking me from side to side. "I am so glad you are safe! How are you feeling, my love?" She pressed her hands to my stomach, thumbing small circles. I felt as if I denied my mother this experience, even though this was not her first grandchild.

"I am alright, Mama." I choked out. She kissed my forehead, murmuring a reassuring phrase to me. She pulled away and reached out for Victor, cradling his hand in hers. "How has my son been?" Mama asked, looking lovingly at my husband.

Victor smiled tightly as he gripped both of our hands. "Terrified, mama." Mama leaned up and kissed his cheek before tugging on our hands. "Come, darlings. We must get you all fed before my grandchild starves." I gave Victor a knowing glance as mama ushered us into the house, pausing only for Mr. Jacoby to take our cloaks.

"Oh, Mrs. Jacoby made your favorite stew, Abby!" Mama exclaimed, walking ahead of the family. Victor gripped my hand as my family filed into the dining room. He looked nervous.

"Victor," I whispered, kneading his knuckles.

"Something feels wrong, darling." He whispered back. As we sat, Mrs. Jacoby began to bring out the dishes for supper. Mama looked nervous as she took her spot next to Papa. She knew something and did not tell anyone. I wanted to know what she knew. I wanted to know if it was about Victor.

"Mama," I called as I received my plate. "Is everything alright?"

"We shall discuss it after supper," Mama said, twirling her spoon in her bowl. "I do not want to upset anyone." I looked towards Katrina, who had suddenly taken great interest in her napkin.

"Katrina, what do you know?" I asked, grabbing for Victor. "Abby, don't excite yourself, it's bad for the baby—" Mama said, only to be cut off by Katrina.

"Lord Neville came to the house with officers. About two weeks ago. They demanded your whereabouts. We said we did not know who you were, but they were suspicious. I suspect they will be back again." Katrina blurted out. "I am so sorry, Abby, Victor." She cried.

*

*

*

*

*

Hello Lovelies!

I apologize for the lack of updates on this story. THere are actually three updates I owe you, so I will get those out to you right now. I am so sorry guys.

I just got home from philly, and I loved it so much! I'll be working on a few updates when I can!

Lots of Love,

DoctorWho