Chapter 6

I wrenched my hand from Mr. Gray's and continued on my way. How could he act as if he never called me a child? Or was this him treating me as the child I was? I felt myself shaking harder, forcing myself to grip my skirts tighter. I pushed myself too far yesterday, I was foolish to do so. Mr. Gray grabbed my hand again and placed his other around my waist. I shoved him away, but it was no use. He was determined as ever. Mr. Gray placed his arms around me and lifted me with ease, carrying me uptake rest of the stairs.

"Put me down," I ordered quietly when he reached the top of the stairs. He did as I said, keeping one hand on my waist. "Let me go, Mr. Gray. I am capable of walking on my own." I snapped and he reluctantly let go. I walked slowly to my room, using my hand along the far wall for support. Mr. Gray trailed behind me like a puppy who lost his mother. His head was tilted towards the floor and his hands were clasped behind his back. He looked remorseful, and he was making it increasingly hard to be mad at him. But I would make do.

"Mr. Gray, I am quite capable of getting ready on my own. I am no longer a child in that sense." I sneered. "I suppose I deserved that jab." He sighed from behind me.

"You deserve so much more than that, Mr.Gray, but I am a lady. And proper ladies do not use weaponry." I said angrily. Mr. Gray remained silent as we reached my room. I went inside and close the door behind me, then collapsed against it. I was only fooling myself by doing this. I know that Mr. Gray hurt me, and possibly Helen has caught on, but my resolve to hate him would surely evaporate at the ball next month. I was growing too attached to him and I knew it. He knocked his knuckles against my door twice, making me jump slightly.

"Abigail, are you alright? It's very quiet in there." Mr. Gray called. "May I come in? I would like to speak with you, if that is alright." I moved away from the door as Victor turned the knob slowly. he entered the room without a word, wringing his hands together.

"What is it, Mr. Gray?We are waisting time that could be used to prepare for—"

"I apologize for my actions yesterday. They were completely uncalled for. Its just that after I was discharged from the Army... It is not the best idea for me to become a public physician again." He said, looking at the floor.

"You called me a child, Mr. Gray. Is that all you see when you look at me? Some helpless, ignorant girl?" I asked, wrapping my arms around myself. Mr. Gray snapped his gaze to me, his eyes wide. "Answer the question, please." I ordered.

"Abigail, I said that out of embarrassment. I never meant it!" Victor exclaimed. "Abigail, you know my character! I would never intentionally hurt you!"

"It's hard to believe that when you've already done so." I said quietly. I turned away from Mr. Gray, not wanting to hear any more from him. I moved for my cane, but Mr. Gray grabbed my arm, stopping me in my tracks. He turned me around slowly, making me look at his eyes.

"I care for you, Abigail." He said lowly. "I do not see a child when I look at you, I see a strong young woman who has been set back by her physical ailments." My blood boiled under my skin. All he could see was my physical appearance and not who I truly was. Before I could react, Mr. Gray placed his lips over mine and his hands on my cheeks. I would have melted into his kiss if I were not so upset with him. I pushed him away with all of my strength, my eyes wide as I stared at him.

"How dare you, Mr. Gray. How dare you kiss me without permission! How dare you declare that you care for me when you only care for my physical being and not my soul." I turned and grabbed my cane, turning to see a shocked Mr. Gray. I brushed past him without a second thought, leaving him standing like a fool inside of my room. Helen's waiting for me at the top of the stairs, my cloak in her hands.