Chapter 7

I descended the main staircase slowly, Daniel holding onto my waist until we reached the bottom. I was shaking at the thought of meeting Lord Clark. I would finally stop being a burden to my family. Yet, the thought of meeting Lord Clark banged my heart with a feeling of regret. Betrayal even. I did not want to think of who I was betraying, I was falling in love with Mr. Gray for all his worth and I could not tell him. It would break my heart to do so. I felt so horribly guilty, but I would move on. I was an English woman, after all.

"Abigail, you look just darling!" Mother exclaimed, pushing through the throng of people at the bottom of the staircase. I blushed slightly, thankful that my face was covered with powder. "She looks like a woman, Mama. Lord Clark will be taken with her!" Katrina exclaimed, hanging on her husband's arm. Daniel kissed my cheeks he let me go, after I received my cane from Papa. Helen and Victor were hiding behind my parents, staying huddled together. Helen turned her head towards me and smiled, moving towards me.

"Thank you, Lady Abigail." She whispered as she took my arm. "I feel like a princess." I smiled at Helen's words. She looked like a princess and would surely capture the attention of many men tonight.

"You look like one, Helen." I said, looking towards Mr. Gray. I knew that he was watching the two of us, but when I looked at him, he looked away. I hated to think of the thoughts that went through his head. I wanted nothing more that to tell him my true feelings, to resolve everything that had happened between us thus far. But I was a coward and could not do so.

"Shall we move towards the carriages? We do have a surprise for you, Abby." Papa said, moving to place his hand on my back. The seven of us made our way to the front of the house, exiting out the grand double doors. There was a cool breeze that was in the air as we stepped outside. Two carriages were waiting for us, two of our accomplished stablehands waiting by the horses, and I couldn't help but smile. I saw my favorite person hanging off of the head carriage.

"Albert," I breathed, rushing towards him. Albert hopped off of the carriage and jogged over to me, his arms finding their way around my frame. "God, I missed you." I whispered.

"I am home for the time being, Abby. And I am all yours for that time." He said, placing his arm around my shoulder. "I believe that we shall be late if we do not leave at this moment, Mama and Papa."

"Mr and Miss Gray, why don't you ride with Albert and Abigail. Katrina and Henry will ride with us." Papa suggested as he opened the second carriage door for Mama. The four of them entered their own carriage and their rider mounted his spot at the very front of the carriage. Our rider, Mr. Marks, moved to the side of the carriage to open the door for us. Helen andI filed into the carriage, sitting opposite each other. Albert and Mr. Gray followed us in, Albert sitting across from me. Once Mr. Marks was seated on his perch, the carriage jostled into action, causing Mr. Gray's hands to fly out to catch me.

"I'm alright," I murmured to him, watching his hands retract to his lap.

"You look lovely, Miss Smith." I heard Albert comment, looking at his seat companion. I watched as Helen blushed, adding a darker color to her cheeks.

"Thank you, Lord Albert. This was all your sister's ideas. Mrs. Delacroix insisted that Victor and I come along to chaperone your sister, and Abigail insisted on having the proper attire made for us. She is a truly remarkable woman, Sir." Helen said, glancing at me quickly. I could see that Helen was falling for Albert, and I was beyond delighted. Helen was perfect for Albert, and vice versa. They would make a lovely couple one day.

"You may call me Albert, Helen." Albert murmured, grinning at her. Mr. Gray took my hand and hid them under my skirts.

"Abigail, you look stunning." Mr. Gray whispered to me. I looked down at my lap and fiddled with a piece of my skirt, attempting to avoid a conversation at all costs. Mr. Gray began kneading my knuckles with his thumb, attempting to get my attention. "Will you dance with me tonight, Abigail."