Chapter 4

Nearly two months passes since Victor Gray reset my bones. Each day I continued to grow stronger, with the help of Helen and Victor. After the first three weeks, Victor was able to plaster less of my body, and by the end of two months, I was only plastered from my waist to my chest. Today was the day Victor removed all of it. I was nervous and excited all at once. I felt better that I had in ten years, since just before the accident. I was no longer scared of my season that would begin in less than two months; I was ready for it.

"Abigail, are you ready?" Victor asked, pressing the saw blade to the inside of my cast. Helen was waiting in front of me with a blanket when the cast fell away. Katrina sat in the corner of the room with the twins in her arms, acting as the chaperone for Mama and Papa. They had traveled to Eton at the request of Albert's headmaster.

"Yes, Victor, I am ready." I breathed, placing my hands on the pully device handing from my bed frame. I felt the vibrations from the saw as Victor carefully cut down the back of the cast. Minutes later, I felt Victor tear away the flaking plaster and Helen wrap the blanket around my body. I heard Victor sigh in relief.

"Can you lie on your stomach by yourself? I'd like to take a look at your back." Victor said, climbing off of my bed and facing me. I nodded once as I laid on my back and rolled over. I felt Victor's cool and calloused fingers probe my back, pausing only when I flinched or made a sound. "Does it hurt when I touch here?" He asked, pressing gently on my hip bone.

"Not as much as last time. It is only tender." I said, reaching to adjust my chemise slightly. "Good," Victor breathed. "It's healing properly. It seems that everything is healing properly. This is amazing!" I turned my head to smile at Victor. "It's not amazing when the doctor performing the deeds is amazing."

"You flatter me, Abigail." Victor said, giving me a smile. "You may turn over now." slowly, I rolled over, glancing at Helen who held my light blue linen dress.

"I believe I must get dressed, Victor." I said, pushing myself into a sitting position. "Oh yes, hold on a moment!" He exclaimed. Victor rushed out of the room and grabbed an object before coming back in the room.

"I had Henry fashion you a corset with tin rods inserted around your back and ribs. It will help keep your back aligned." Victor explained, placing the corset into my hands. "Victor, you didn't have to do this. I thought the resetting was enough."

"I promised you I would see you better to the point without needing me. This is one of those steps, Abigail." Victor said, kneeling in front of me. "One day I will not be with you anymore. I want insure that you will be well off, physically, by then." I nodded once and Victor stood, leaving the room so I could change. I hated that Victor's words were true.

"Oh, Helen, I do believe Abigail is blushing." Katrina said as I stood. Helen hummed in agreement. "I do believe they were flirting with each other." Helen said, flashing me a grin.

"I have no idea what either of you are talking about." I said, slipping into the corset. "You are both delusional."

"Oh, I remember being in denial about Henry. She's falling in love." Katrina sighed, looking at her children. "You'll be able to give them cousins soon."

"You are utterly insane. Tell her, Helen!" I exclaimed, turning my head to look at her. "There does seem to be a mutual attraction between you and Victor." Helen said quietly. I humphed as Helen laced up my corset and pulled up my chemise.

"There is no use in denying it, little sister. That is the same way I fell in love with Henry. One week, more or less. So did Mama, and Grandmother and our aunts and uncles. It's in our blood." She was right. "Uncle John fell in love with Aunt Bambi upon first laying eyes on her. Alastar and Penelope fell in love in front of my very eyes. It is not impossible." Katrina said, kissing her son's head.