Chapter 18

His small hand curled around my finger and I wanted to cry. He was perfect in every sense of the word; his cupid's bow lip was curled into a pucker and his soft blue eyes were curiously probing between sleep spells. I rested against Albert as I hugged my son close to my chest.

"He's absolutely gorgeous, isn't he Albert?" I murmured, kissing his knuckles. "He has Victor's nose and crinkled little ears."

"He's beautiful, Abby." Albert reassured, tightening his arms around us. "Robert Derek Gray there is a very large family waiting to meet you." Albert kissed my head as Helen and Robert came into the room.

"How are my patients today?" Robert asked cheerfully. He sat on the side of the bed and reached out for my son. I reluctantly passed my sleeping baby to Robert, who gave him a check over. "How is mother doing today? Are you sore? Fatigued? It's been nearly twelve hours since you've given birth, have you slept at all?"

"Robert, you fret worse than my husband." I chided. "My back still spasms. I managed maybe three hours of sleep. Leaning against something solid helps to prolong the spasms. Is this a side effect of giving birth?"

"I cannot say for certain, but I would like to try something, perhaps later today? I have a colleague from school, he's from the East. Brilliant man. He knows a type of muscle relaxation technique called 'acupuncture'. I've seen his work, and I must say it is remarkable." Robert commented as he handed me back my son.

"He's healthy as a horse, Abby. Nothing to worry about," Robert said, patting my leg. "You have a visitor in the parlor room, shall I send him in?" I nodded my head as I turned my gaze back to my son. Victor's predictions were dead wrong, but he'd adore our son anyways.

"Winifred insisted that I bring your baby her blanket." David spoke from the doorway. "She also insists that she must see you and the baby once you arrive back in Avesbury." I smiled as I turned my attention to David, who stood nervously in the door frame.

"Do come in, David. Robert does hate to be kept waiting." I chided. David chuckled as he came to sit at my bedside. "Tell me of the trial, David. Please." He placed the blanket across my legs and began playing with Robert's toes.

"Closing remarks were made today. It's been nearly two days since your incident in the courtroom. Brandon refused to give his testimony after you spoke. He knows he has no case against Victor. They should deliver the verdict by this afternoon." David remarked softly.

"What are you doing here, then?" Albert asked, holding me tighter to him.

"Victor asked me to take care of you. Before he was escorted back, he had his lawyer slip me a note. He wants me here with you, no matter what the verdict." David looked at me, resting his hand over mine.

"We owe you a great deal, David. I hope you know that." I whispered, fighting the tears that wanted to come to my eyes.

"You owe me nothing other than your friendship, Abigail. And that is the truth. My children adore you and Victor, and they would love to have Robert as their new cousin." David soothed. "Let me take him for a while, Abby. You need rest." I reluctantly relinquished my son to David. Albert began to hum the lullaby mother sang to us in our youth. I finally succumbed to my need to sleep.

My dreams felt like reality. I dreamt of Victor and our son. I dreamt of our lives together, fulfilling his dreams. We were happy, living near my parents. Victor would work in the village as the new physician. David and the children would visit us frequently. It was perfect, nearly too perfect. I wanted to believe every second of this perfection, of the life I was supposed to have. I just couldn't believe in something without my husband being with me.