Chapter 8

Chapter 8

Albert Goddard

I ran past my family after the servant told us to follow him. I knew it was Abigail and I was praying that Mr. Gray was with her. Helen was keeping pace with me, no doubt trying to calm me down. But it wouldn't happen. My little sister was hurt, possibly paralyzed from the pain in her back. I would never relax until she was well again.

"Albert," Helen called breathlessly, reaching for my hand. I paused, allowing her to take it. "Rushing into that room will do her no good. You acting like a mad man will not heal her any faster, do you understand?" She said as the rest of my family rushed past us.

"She is my twin, Helen. When she is in pain, I am in pain." I said, looking past her. "Then you need to remain calm so Abigail can remain calm. She is a strong woman, and has gotten a lot stronger since you've been away."

"You are wise beyond your years, Helen." I said, pulling her towards the door my family entered through. The sight before me was enough to bring me to my knees. Abigail was covered, head to toe, in ice as Mr. Gray was rushing around her. Helen brushed past me, discarding her gloves as she intercepted her brother.

"Has her fever broke?" She asked, placing her hands on Abigail's head. "Not yet, the ice was just delivered. Helen, she needs morphine."

"Why does she need morphine? She's asleep already, isn't she?" I asked, moving closer to her bed. Mr. Gray looked up and stepped in between me and the bed.

"She needs to stay asleep if she is going to overcome the pneumonia. It's her only chance." Mr. Gray said, rubbing his hands over his face. "I suggest everyone finds a place to sleep tonight. I will do my best to get the fever to break by morning, but I cannot promise this."

"I am not leaving Abigail." I said, looking at my parents. "Go and rest, I will sleep tomorrow." My family reluctantly left the room, not wanting to leave Abigail in the state she was. But none of us were of any use to her sleep deprived. Helen came to me, taking my hand in hers, and led me to a chair near the bed.

"Relax, Albert. All we can do is wait." Helen whispered to me. She tried to pull away, but I held onto her hand, pulling her close to me. "Stay, please." I whispered.

*

*

*

The three of us slept for a few short hours before Lord Clark came into the room with another doctor. Helen was still asleep on my shoulder when the door opened. I glanced at Victor, who's head was resting on Abigail's stomach. I noticed that his hands were loosely clasped around hers and my heart stopped. Was Victor falling for Abby? Lord Clark moved around the bed and placed his hand on Victor's shoulder, jolting the man awake.

"How is she, Gray?" He asked quietly. Victor ran a hand over his face, brushing against some of the stubble on his chin.

"She woke twice during the night. A coughing fit both times. Her fever has gone down some, but not enough." Victor said while looking at Lord Clark. The Lord motioned for the doctor to come to the bed.

"Who is he?" Victor asked, moving to stand in front of my sister. "Victor, you cannot work on Abigail as a patient, not with you in this state. I brought in my personal physician to care for Abigail. It is better this way."

"I can't stand by idly whilst someone else cares for her. I won't be able to remain calm." Victor said, grasping for Abigail's fingers. "Tell me you haven't called on the authorities." Lord Clark shook his head and Victor sighed in relief.