Chapter 15

I felt sick to my core. Even though Victor had assured me that his arrest would be simple, I could not shake my horrid feeling. I could not bear to see him leave in such a matter. I had the same nightmare every night, and it never changed in its darkness. I was forced to watch the man I loved beaten by the men he considered brothers. And I was paralyzed in my slumbers, unable to move in both my dreams and my bed. I felt utterly hopeless.

That morning felt like it my life was being dragged from me. I woke to Victor scribbling furiously at my desk. His clothes for his arrest were laid across the trunk at the end of our bed. He seemed ready for the trials ahead of us. I forced myself to rise from our bed, wrapped in his robe to keep warm, and I waddled to him. Victor welcomed me with open arms, pulling me into his lap.

"Good morning, my love." He said, pushing away his previous task. He cupped my neck and pulled me into him for a kiss, one I gladly accepted. "How are you feeling?" He asked, reaching out to stroke my stomach.

"He is restless, as is his mother. Nothing you could say could ease either of us." I whispered. I turned around, reaching for his paperwork. "What were you writing?"

"My last will and testament, just in case we've misread the trial." He said, stroking my stomach. "It only states that if I were to pass, Lord Clark takes soul responsibility of you, Helen, and the baby until you remarry. And in the case that you pass, he is to adopt our baby." I pressed the paper to my chest, willing my tears to stay at bay.

"You are too good, Victor. I do not deserve you." I whispered. "Where did you get the uniform from? I thought you were discharged."

"Not formally. My arresting officers are charged with notifying me of my pending discharge. After the trial will be my discharge characterization. I will be tried as an officer." Victor kissed my forehead before releasing me. "We must dress, for I do believe your mother is planning a wonderful breakfast." I slid off Victor's lap and began to rummage for a dress to wear. I wanted Victor to remember me happily and strong. I did not want him to see me cry today. Victor dressed quickly, putting on his army attire. He looked like a different man. I could only imagine the type of person he used to be. He was someone who was rigid, steadfast, with nothing to lose. Now, he was a different man. He was caring, courageous and had everything to lose.

"You look like a heroic soldier." I whispered, pulling out my plainest dress.

"I was, in my past life, Abigail." He said, finishing his buttons. "Soon enough, if the courts allow it, I will be Doctor Gray. I will practice my trade in the main village as my wife and children are safe. Doesn't that sound like a great dream, my love?"

"It sounds perfect, Victor." I whispered. I pulled on my petticoats and tied them over my stomach before pulling on my gown.

"Let me help you, my love." Victor said, moving behind me to lace my dress together. Once Victor was finished, he pressed a kiss against the back of my neck. "Beautiful as ever." I turned around and placed my hands on Victor's chest.

"What are you thinking, Abigail?" Victor murmured, raising his hands to my cheeks.

"I am always thinking of something, Victor." I closed my eyes as I leaned into his hands. "I am trying to commit you to memory, because I doubt I will be able to see you until after the trial."

Victor kissed my head before drawing me into his arms. I melted into his body, fighting to keep my emotions at bay. "I will always come home to you," he whispered in my ear. "Never forget that." Victor released me and took my hand. Without another word, we left our room and made our way to breakfast, the last meal we would have together for some time. We entered the dining room, and it was as if my mother had prepared for a funeral.