Chapter 14

Christmas morning came too quickly. I only had a few days left with Victor. I could not bear to think of the following months without him. But I would not let that interfere with Mama's holiday plans. She had all sorts of festive plans for Louise and I, and for the twins as well. My family would be walking on egg shells, as to not invoke another melt down from me.

I slept curled into Victor, my stomach resting on his torso. I woke to him stroking my stomach with his other arm securing me to him. He was savoring every moment we had together. He looked like he had barely slept, and I wanted to remedy that, but I knew better. He would fight me, tooth and nail, that he did not need to. Victor kissed my head as he stretched slightly.

"I know you're awake." He mumbled, playing with my loose hair. "I want to give you an early present. Close your eyes, please." Victor released me and scooted towards his night stand. I did as he asked, keeping my eyes closed until the bed dipped again. He pressed a box into my hands and my eyes popped open.

"What is it?" I whispered, sitting up. I tore open the box to reveal a necklace. Its face was engraved with a rose, small and delicate.

"Open it, darling." Victor urged, cupping my cheeks. I gingerly pulled open the lids of the locket and gasped. In the dim light of the room, I could make out the faint portrait Victor had left in my locket.

"I do not want you to miss me, Abigail. And if she is born before I return, you could show our daughter her father until I can return." I lifted my head and kissed Victor harshly on the lips.

"Thank you, my love." I whispered thickly. "I will carry it close to my heart." I leaned close to him, allowing my husband to clasp the locket around my neck. I placed my hands upon his cheeks as he pulled back, and I kissed him. Victor smiled against my lips as he pulled me into his lap.

"Happy Christmas, Abigail." He murmured.

"Happy Christmas," I mumbled, moving to discard his night shirt.

I cuddled Adelaide to my chest, watching her as she viewed her first Christmas inquisitively. Alexandre and Adelaide were unsure of the decorations and laughter that surrounded them. Mother and Gabriel had begun to pass around the presents under our humble tree. Grandmother and Grandfather left to spend the holidays with Uncle Edgar and Aunt Bridie, since they had recently moved to Ireland to start anew with their young family. Uncle Barnabas and his new bride, Fiona, stayed with us to celebrate, as well as Uncle Alastar, Aunt Penelope and Jared.

"Abby," Jared called from the floor, playing with his new sister, Maxine. "Could you play us a tune tonight? It's been ages and the babies would love it." Jared was nine years old now, and living the life he deserved.

"What would you like to hear, Jared?" I asked as Victor took Adelaide from me.

"Joy to the world, please?" He asked, picking up his sister. I nodded my head as I settled into the settee. I was utterly exhausted during this pregnancy, but I would never let Victor know that. I was determined to conceive more children with him.

"Abby, these are for you, from the whole family." Mama said, placing a plethora of gifts in our laps. We looked at each other quizzically as Katrina came and took her daughter back. "Go on, my darlings." Together, Victor and I opened the many gifts in our laps.

"We got the whole family to help! We made you blankets and clothes and anything else the baby will need." Katrina exclaimed, bouncing her own baby girl. My eyes watered, and I wiped the tears with the back of my hand.

"Thank you all, so much." I whispered through my tears. Victor held me close as the rest of the family opened their gifts.

Our holiday went smoothly, and my family would agree. It was the first time I saw my husband and sister-in-law genuinely excited to celebrate any holiday. I even witnessed Albert sneak a kiss with Helen under the mistletoe. I never wanted our happy holiday to end, especially with Victor's impending future. I could not see him leave, even though he assured me it would not be violent. I could not help but fear the worst. I would wake in the middle of the night and pace the room, playing a scene in my head that had not even happened yet.

"Darling," Victor groaned as I paced the floor. It was three in the morning, giving me less than a day left with my husband. "Come to bed, please."

"I cannot sleep, Victor. I keep having the nightmare—I don't want to sleep if that's all I will see." I said, rubbing my stomach. Victor rolled out of our bed and came to me, stopping my pacing. He pressed a gentle kiss to my forehead as he held me.

"I know my arresting officers, Abigail. They are two men who have served under me. They will be kind and respect you. Do not fear my arrest." Victor whispered in my ear. I fisted my hands in his shirt and pressed my ear against his heart. I needed to hear it beat steadily, for me and only me.

"I am weak, my love," I whispered. "For I will always fear that the worst will happen to us." Victor kissed my neck before pulling back to look at me.

"You are incredibly strong, Abigail. You come from a strong family. Your grandmother has endured grief and hardship all her life, and yet, she still taught you how to laugh. Your mother has shown me what real strength is. And she has bestowed it upon you, and Katrina, and our daughter. She has given the ultimate sacrifice to ensure your safety. And I know you would do the same for our Mary."

I sniffed, placing my head back on his chest. He knew the right words to woo me. "What makes you so sure our baby is a girl? I am quite sure it is a Robert." I whispered to him.

"Well then, I'm sure I'll just have to win the case to find out. Won't I, darling?"

"Yes, Victor, you will."

*

*

*

*

*

Hello Lovelies!

I am such an idiot and forgot to publish this chapter! Please forgive me!

Lots of Love,

DoctorWho