Chapter 10

I stared at the string on my finger as Helen helped me dress. Most of my things were already packed in trunks, which were being loaded onto the family carriage. Albert and Daniel's things were sent to the Summer House nearly a week ago. Victor had been there for two and a half weeks. I was supposed to leave for him on Saturday, but my health had not quite recovered. I was anxious to see him again, since we would be married once I set foot in the house.

"Abby, you are shaking." Helen murmured as she laced up my special corset.

"My apologies." I murmured, playing with the string on my finger. We were to leave once the sun had set. That was two hours from now. I would be married by midnight, and a properly married woman by morning. My nerves were the least of my problems.

"Victor is very excited, I am sure. You know he cannot wait to make a proper woman out of you." Helen assured me, hugging me around the middle. "And then we shall be sisters."

"I am looking forward to being your sister, Helen. I hope one day Albert shall make you a proper woman." I teased, placing my hands over hers.

"All I ask of you is to give me one niece or nephew in the future." She said.

"I will try," I murmured, placing one hand on my stomach. Helen kissed my cheek before taking my dress and slipping it over my head. She buttoned the back of it quickly, then stood beside me with a smile.

"You must be the most beautiful bride in all of history." She murmured, taking my hand. I smiled and kissed her cheek, keeping her hand in mine.

"You are too kind." I whispered. My father knocked on my door before entering. Helen and I turned to face him, and my father smiled at me.

"Are you ready, my love?" He asked, crossing the room to face us. "Yes, Papa, we are ready." Papa took my hand and placed it on his arm, leading us to the main foyer. Albert and Daniel were waiting for us, and my twin's face lit up at the sight of Helen. I smiled faintly as Albert took her hand and escorted her down the stairs. Mama awaited us at the bottom of the stairs, accompanied by Katrina and the rest of our family. One by one, they said their good-byes. Katrina embraced me last, squeezing me tightly.

"I love you, Abby." She whispered in my ear. "Remember, whatever happens tonight happens on your consent. If he loves you, he will yield to that. Do not be afraid to say 'no' if you are not ready."

"Thank you, Kat." I whispered. "I will write you when I can." She kissed my cheek softly, keeping her tears at bay.

"Be happy, my darling sister." She said, making me promise this.

"I will," I promised her as Daniel's arm went around my waist.

"Time to go, Abby." He said in my ear. I let Daniel escort me to the carriage, and I settled in next to Helen. She watched as Albert and Daniel mounted their horses and led the way to the Summer House. Mama and Papa were quiet for the hours we spent jostling in the carriage. Helen paid no mind to it, but I knew why they were so quiet. I was getting married. This was a feat none of us imagined possible. And once Victor's name was cleared, presumably, we would leave my parent's home. Helen took my hand in hers, keeping me grounded as we grew closer and closer to the house.

"Abigail, breathe. Everything will be perfect." She whispered to me. "Now rest, because tonight you may not be able to." I stared at her with my eyes wide.

"Helen!" I exclaimed in a whisper. "Hold your tongue."

"What? It is the truth." She said with a smirk. I rolled my eyes as I rested my head on her shoulder. I must have dozed off, since I awoke to the carriage stopping. Helen squeezed my hand before letting it go. "We are here, sister." She murmured in my ear. I smiled at Helen as the door opened. Mama and Papa exited first, shaking hands with Victor and one of Papa's associates. Helen exited next, being helped by Albert. I watched as Victor moved past Papa, reaching his sister and kissing her cheek. I moved to exit the carriage and Victor was there in a flash. His hands were on my waist, lifting me into the air and spinning me around.