Chapter 9

Victor Gray

"Robert knows what you did. I will only be able to subdue him for so long before he goes to the authorities. Victor, you need a plan, you need to tell Abigail and her family of what you did. They will understand." Clark said as he leaned against the door. Abigail had nuzzled her head into my neck, radiating more of her heat against my skin.

"Do what you must, David. It's about time I came clean for my crimes. Hopefully they won't miss me too much." I murmured, stroking Abigail's hair. We both knew that I would likely be hanged for what I did. I would give anything for Helen and Abigail not to be at the trials or the execution. But they were strong willed women, and would gladly defy orders.

"Victor, Lord Goddard and I would find the best lawyers possible. We would rather go into debt than see you, a great friend and possible son, hanged." Clark said, moving away from the door. "I lost my wife not too long after returning home. I don't want to see Helen lose a brother or Abigail lose the love of her life. That's the worst thing anyone could wish on another person."

"Clark, I took away someone's brother, someone's son and in return I am trying to be protected for it. I should be held responsible." I growled.

"Then so should I. I ordered you to end Mathew's suffering. It was Brandon who is taking this out of proportion. You and Matthew both knew he would not recover from his wounds. It was too late for him." Clark shouted.

"His death still haunts me, David." I murmured, cradling Abigail close to my chest. "I play his death over in my head every night in my dreams and he always blames me for not trying." To this, Clark had no response. We both knew it was my guilt eating away at me, but it was a truth we had both avoided for so long. We could have tried. I looked down at Abigail and frowned slightly. I knew what turning myself in meant. I would lose Abigail, possibly forever. I had to turn myself in, or this secret would eat me alive.

I felt Abigail curl her fingers into my shirt as a moan escaped her lips. "Don't leave me, Victor." She whispered. I pressed kiss to the side of her head, praying that she was still asleep.

"I won't leave you, Abigail. I love you too much." I whispered to her. She hummed in response, falling back asleep. David grinned at the two of us as there was a knock at the door.

"You can't leave her now. Women are powerful creatures, Victor." David said as he opened the door to the room. Her family filed in, looking as tired as I felt. Her mother and sister rushed over to us, climbing onto the bed next to me.

"How is she, Victor?" Katrina asked, stroking her sister's sodden hair.

"Her fever is going down. She's been in and out of consciousness, she's very weak and hoarse." I said, shifting Abigail into her mother's lap. "I must get more ice. Her fever needs to break before tomorrow."

"Victor Gray, get back here." Lady Imogen ordered, patting the spot beside her. I obliged her, scooting back in between her and Katrina. "My daughter needs you and you need to sleep. I am sure that Lord Clark's physician can get her ice."

"Rest, Mr. Gray or both of you will need a doctor." Katrina said, fluffing the pillow beside her. I smiled and obliged the two, lying flat on my back and falling asleep. My dreams were not peaceful, the never were anymore. Matthew's death replayed endlessly in my dreams, causing me to toss and turn on the crowded bed.

"I'm sorry Matthew. This is my fault." I whispered when I looked down at his corpse.

"It's not your fault, Victor." I heard Matthew whisper to me. His voice sounded so far away. "Victor, it's a dream, wake up."