Chapter 1

I pack the last of my clothes, as my mother calls me down. A black strand of my bangs slides in front of my eyes, and I redo my ponytail before heading downstairs with my last box.

"You ready hun?" My mom's raven black hair frames her face perfectly, as she waits for me. Her bright green eyes are piercing, and she has that picture perfect motherly image. I smile, putting the last of my belongings in the moving van. My father comes up from behind and picks me up, making me scream in surprise. He twirls me around, making me giggle, begging him to put me down.

"Are my two favorite girls ready to go?" We both nod our heads, and enter the car.

My father met up with an old friend from his old pack, who so happens to be the Alpha; and he's looking for a temporary Beta until his son finds a mate and takes over the pack. My father of course agreed, taking any chance to get away from our current pack. It may be horrible of us, but this pack was slowly crumbling ever since the new alpha took over, and my father felt it's be best to get out before we go down with it. I suppose he's just doing what's best for mom and I. So here we are moving to Ottawa to be in the Black Lake Pack.

"So we're almost there, and tonight we're going to meet the Alpha and his family, then tomorrow we're joining them to greet the Alpha King and his beta."

"So in other words, we have to time to settle in." I try to say it jokingly, but a bit of irritation seeps through.

"Yeah, sorry butterfly, the down side of being beta."

"I thought you said there were no downsides." I roll my eyes playfully and my dad laughs at the reference from the conversation we had earlier. My wolf becomes unsteady, as we continue to drive, so I put in my ear buds, and rest my head against the window

"Honey, we're here. Wake up." My mom lightly shakes my arms, waking me up from my nap. I open my eyes to see the pack house in front of us. It's large and crème color. I get butterflies in my stomach and fix my hair quickly. Some of the pack members head towards us helping us bring in our belongings.

At the door stands a tall handsome man about the same age as my father. Next to him is a boy who looks about 19-20. His hair is chocolate drown matching his eyes. I stare into his eyes as he does the same, waiting for some kind of spark but nothing out of the ordinary happens, and my wolf whimpers in my head in disappointment.

"John! So nice to see you." The alpha greets my father excitedly.

"Chris, how are you? Is this your son?"

"Ah yes, this is my son Jake." He shakes my fathers and mother's hands, then averts his gave to me. The adults get consumed in their conversation, leaving the two of us on the front porch alone.

"Jake." He smiles sheepishly, sticking his hand out towards me.

I smile politely, "Belle."

"So how old are you?" He sticks his hands in his pockets and we casually start walking around the outside of the house.

"Eighteen."

"Oh, found your mate yet?"

I laugh politely knowing that if I did I'd most likely be with him right now, "Uh, no, not yet. You?"

"No. Not yet."

"Oh... How old are you?" I ask curiously, knowing that if he is in his 20's he's most likely never going to find his mate. It's extremely rare to find them past 19.

"Uh, 20."

"Oh... I'm sorry." I stick hug myself as the breeze kicks in, my wolf still not used to the slight change in the weather.

He shrugs off his black and white flannel and offers it to me. I take it, thanking him, and we continue walking. Getting back to the conversation he shrugs it off like it's no big deal, "Uh it's ok I guess. I mean as much as it pains me to think the worst of things, my father's trying to push me to find a chosen mate. So... yeah..." He trails off, and his face seems unsure how to hold this awkward conversation.

We turn back around towards the front of the house, and we drop that topic, creating small talk. Once I get to the front door, our faces are both burning from laughter. He opens the door, holing it for me as I walk in. My face finally turns its normal shade, but then we turn to find our parents staring at us. The alpha and my mother look hopeful, and my dad just eyes the flannel on my shoulders suspiciously.

I quickly shrug off the warm clothing, and hand it back to him, and we all stand there awkwardly. Once the alpha realizes we aren't mates, he breaks the silence. "As I was just about to finish telling you, now that my wife has passed, it's come to a time for me to hand down my position to Jake. Though it's unwise to lead a pack without a Luna, but considering my son's circumstances," the alpha looks at us, and Jake's face looks as if he can guess what his father is going to say next, "he needs to find a chosen mate, and fast."

My mother looks at me as if she's hoping I'll catch onto what the alpha is trying to say, and my father's face suddenly clicks, "Are you saying...?"

"In hopes that the two get along, yes." The alpha looks excited almost, and my father suddenly looks astonished, and honored. I look at Jake, and he's looking at me in deep thought, and it finally hits me.

"You want Jake and I to mate?" The alpha claps in approval, happy I've finally caught on. My wolf whimpers at the thought, not wanting to mate to a chosen until we're to that point in age; and I agree.

I look at Jake and he shrugs, he shrugs! How canhe be ok with this? Oh wait he's the one getting the benefit of this. He's hadhis chance to find his mate. He's come to that point of age to pick a chosenmate. I think I'm going to be sick, "Um, if you don't mind me asking what makesyou think this is the slightest bit a good idea?"