Chapter 19

Now to find Tobias

I sprint to the one place I know he would go, the chasm. When I get there he's laying on the rock with his eyes closed. " Tobias. " I whisper. He opens his eyes and says, " Stay away. I don't want you hurt. " " Tobias, no, I will love you until I take my last breath, I'm not leaving. "

" Tris, don't make this harder than it has to be, just go, find someone new. " " No! Stop being selfish! You will never be like your father! Just come back home and- " He stops me with a kiss, one that will probably be our last one for awhile. " I'm sorry Tris. "

And then he's gone.

***

The walk home is painful knowing I will come home to an empty house. For the past hour I have been sitting on the rock wondering where he will go since we are- were living in his apartment. When I get to the apartment all his stuff is gone, there are no traces of him left, not even a note. I need to talk to him.

Two weeks later

During initiation Tobias never talks to me, only the initiates. I always try to talk to him after initiation but he just ignores me and walks away. Today I will talk to him until he answers me, I can't stand not having him in my life.

***

The hours if initiation finally pass until its just us in the training room, I lock the doors of the training room and look at him, " You can't ignore me forever, I don't know what's wrong with you but you need to cut it out. You said you left so you wouldn't hurt me but that's all you've been doing. "

" Tris, I'm not worth it, what do you see in me? I- " " Tobias! You are brave, selfless, smart, honest and kind. What's not to love in that? " Tears form in my eyes and I run up and cry into his chest. " I love you Tobias, I really do. " " I love you too, Tris. " " Come back home? " I ask. " Always. "